Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Memory Settings

Highlighted
Steven Nicklin
Regular Contributor.

Memory Settings

Hi All,
I've got a couple of servers with 4 gig of RAM sat in our test environment at the moment to plug into our production environment soon. They are Windows 2003 servers.

The problem is, when I change the config settings in 'installservice.bat' and have reinstalled the service, when I go to start up the service, if I set it to use more than around 1.5 gig for the service, the service will not start.

It appears that I am limited to 2 gig for the OS running and all applications. However, I have got it set in the boot.ini to use the full RAM as per below:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Standard" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect /redirect /PAE /3GB

There has also been a reboot.

Is it possible to use the full RAM with Service Desk? Does anyone else have a similar situation that is actually working? I'd like to use 3 gig for the Service Desk service. Is Service Desk itself limited for how much RAM it can use?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Steve
4 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Memory Settings

Hi,

OVSD 4.5 Sp 20. After the upgrade last year I found that I could only run the app server services with 800MB of allocated memory. Anything higher and the app server services would not run. logged to to HP but we didn't get an answer at the time so I can't say what the issue was other that letting you know we had a similar experience.

Can you log this to HP?
Steven Nicklin
Regular Contributor.

We already have one of our 2 gig RAM servers running at 1.5 gig for Service Desk so I know it's possible. Potentially maybe you have other programs on the same server eating up a lot of your remaining memory?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

The funny thing was on one physical server I could get the memory settings to 1GB but on the other physical server we saw the problems. Again not much help but just letting you know :)
Ivan Sakharov
Honored Contributor.

Hi

If you want to use completely hardware possibilities of your servers I think it is good idea to run multiple instances of application server.

These info are available under chapter 7 in Administrator Guide:
Starting Multiple Servers