Max Installations question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Max Installations question

Hi,

Using OV 4.5 SP17, I'm trying to use OV to do some crude software licencing checking.

A while ago I was checking it out and I'm sure that I found that OV would allow me to associate Users with a CI up to the amount in Max. Installations.

But now it seems I can associate as many users as I like with a CI, regardless of what is in Max. Installations.

How do I make the value of Max. Installations govern the number of users on a CI?
7 REPLIES
Gerry Allardice
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Max Installations question

Peter,
Awhile since I played with this but seem to remember, max installs is only enforced for parent/Child relations on CI.

So software item is made a parent, and each deployment is a child up to the max installs. Was a bit tedious to manage, but maybe easier with some later enhancements by HP and some stuff seen in this forum of late.

Regards
Gerry
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

While searching the forum I found this:

"An example of when you may not set a Ci to unique is where you have 500 mice of the same model, you would like to keep a track of these, but it would create to much administrative overhead to record the serial number etc.. of each mouse (in which case you would have 500 unique mouse Ci's of the same model). So to make this easier you would create one Ci, set it to not unique, and set max installations to 500
This way you can relate this ci to 500 pc's once you attempt to relate it to pc 501 you will get a message saying no more relations can be made until max installations increased. This can also be used for license management."

My problem is I want this to happen and its not.

Under what circumstances should I get the message refered to above?
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Gerry,

You seem to be correct because I also found this

"Mihai Tita Dec 15, 2006 08:55:34 GMT
Hi Rad,

You need to create parent (hw) - child (sw)relationships.
In this case the value from sw max.installations field will limit the number of parent - child relationships."

However, even if I link a CI with Max. Installations set to 1, using the Child CI's section on the CI form it still lets me link as many as I want!

Am I doing something stupid? (It wouldn't be the first time).
Gerry Allardice
Outstanding Contributor.

Peter,

I seem to remember there is some history to this along the way. I think it was 1 out with the count at some SPs along the way, ie you needed to have one more than allowed before it worked, and may even only work when to add the child to anothor parent. I think the parent needs to be a unique CI as well.

Regards
Gerry
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks Gerry but, if I make the Parent unique then the Max Installations field is greyed out.

I've read in the manual that the CI has to be Non-Unique for it to be a group item and therefore have other CI's related to it.
Gerry Allardice
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Peter,

The Child CI has to be non unique and have max installs set.

So you would set up MS Word as non unique and set max installs to say 5.

You then start adding this CI as a child of the PCs that have MS Word on them. When you try to use it the sixth time it should complain.

The PC themselves would need to be unique CIs.

Regards
Gerry

Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Gerry,

Thanks for the simple explanation, that's what I needed.

I understand now, its not quite what I wanted to hear but there you go.

Max points, thanks for sticking with it.

Peter