Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass CI Deletion

Highlighted
nija patel
Collector

Mass CI Deletion

Hi,

I want to delete all CIs from CMDB. CIs contain the relationship with other CIs, Services, Incidents, Calls, Change etc. Is it possible to delete all CIs from OVSD in one short? CMDB contains almost 50000 CIs and I want to delete all CIs from OVSD. Can anyone advise me how is it possible?

OVSD Environment:

OVSD 4.5 SP12
DB: Oracle 9i

Thank You

Regards,
Nija
8 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Re: Mass CI Deletion

HI
For this task you need the first delete all relations between CI and SC,WO,..., then between CI, then you can delete the CI with History.
But the best way move old CI in hided folder.

Vasily
Ananth Ram
Super Collector

Hi There,
take a right click in the CMDB page selecting all the CMDB. And say Update all ...that will lead you to one page. There you select the Service as "make empty" and similarly which are all the related fields in that CMDB.Thats will update all. And then if you say delete all it will delete.

Ram
nija patel
Collector

Hi Vasily,

It is a good idea to move old CIs into the hidden folder. But I have to remove some of the categories itself and I would like to delete those CIs as its no longer in use. Even it doesnt matter if it is related to Change or any other record. But internally to delete from OVSD first this relationship has to be deleted and then only CI can be deleted. I was going through some of the posts regarding this solution. Is there any way to delete this relationship in one short and then CIs?

Regards,
Nija
Ben Snell

Hi

Hows your Java programming - the API could be used to remove the relationships and then delete the CI entries. Look at the examples supplied with OVSD for ideas - they are in the API examples folder.

Regards
Ben
Thorfinn Thomas
Regular Collector

Hi Nija

If Category is all that is the trouble, then just apply Ananth Ram's method in his post above - use "Update All" to either alter Category into one that is not supposed to be deleted (can be a dummy one that you later hide), or you can clear the category of all the CIs, if this is not a mandatory attribute (if it is, then setting it temporarily to "not mandatory" will also work).

Btw, for "Update all", it is not recommended to do too many objects at once, as it uses time to update many objects. I was doing this for servicecalls, and did 1-2 screens at a time.

Another approach is to export the CIs, alter the Category and reimport them. This can be scheduled to run during off hours. Same approach: Either use a dummy category or clear it if not mandatory...

regards, and good luck,
Thorfinn Thomassen
nija patel
Collector

Hi Ben,

Yes Web API is a good idea. I am not so good in web api. Do you have ready to use code? Can anyone share Web API to unrelate Incidents, Problem etc from CI?

Thank You

Regards,
Nija
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Nija,

Can you just block them? Then they will not be available for selection for any calls or other relationships in the future.

Much simpler than trying to delete

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
nija patel
Collector

Hi Ruth,

Blocking will not solve my issue. I need empty CMDB structure as my client will reconsile all the CI data from other data sources and put into it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Nija
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event