Making a template for Service Call that relates to a problem record

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Elizabeth Niels
Trusted Contributor.

Making a template for Service Call that relates to a problem record

Hi
I need to create a template for a service call for an incident that has a workaround.. thats easy enough.. but I need to add on the work order tab the relation to a problem record.. this doesnt seem to be possible either on the template itself or by UI rule.. anyone got any ideas?
9 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Making a template for Service Call that relates to a problem record

Hi,

there might be other ways but one possible way is to use sd_dataform to create a problem record and make the relationship. The only drawback here is that the problem record will not autosave (with or without a rule) and will not close. You need to manually close the call.

Sd-datafprm and the parameters can be launched from a smart action or a UI rule.
Elizabeth Niels
Trusted Contributor.

The thing is that the problem record is already created.. say the record has id number 142 I just need to relate the incidents that come in to the existing problem record.. i just cant find a way to choose the relation part on either the template itself or a UI rule
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hi Elizabeth

The standard service call template already has a field for relation to problems (and other service events) - you find it under relations - "Related Service Events".

If you need this field under the work order tab, you can just move or copy the field to that tab.

Regards,
Thorfinn Thomassen
Elizabeth Niels
Trusted Contributor.

Hi
Yes I know the field on the work order tab but it seems impossible to create the template so that the problem id 142 is automatically entered into this field when the template is used. I cant seem to do it either in the template itself or via a rule as I cannot choose the Service event relation field..is there a workaround?
Shivshankar Yad
Honored Contributor.

Hi Elizabeth Nielsen;

I am not sure which version of Service Desk you are presently using. But in service desk 5.1 you have option of relating problem with the Service call / Incident / Work Order and vise versa.

For relating the existing problem ticket with the Service Call OR Incident click the Relations TAB and relate the existing problem ticket ID...

Regards
Shiva
Point Motivates

OpenVIew
Shivshankar Yad
Honored Contributor.

Hi Elizabeth Nielsen;

I am not sure which version of Service Desk you are presently using. But in service desk 5.1 you have option of relating problem with the Service call / Incident / Work Order and vise versa.

For relating the existing problem ticket with the Service Call OR Incident click the Relations TAB and relate the existing problem ticket ID...

Regards
Shiva
Points Motivates

OpenVIew
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Elizabeth,

I didn't read all the posts so it may be a repeat.

We are 4.5 SP17 and yes you can have a Service Call Tempalte that is related to an existing problem record. Not sure why you want it on a Work Order Tab (unless your relations are on that tab)? Normally you would have a relations tab for prpblems changes etc. When creating the template there is a "field" called relations. Then click Add and then you must provide a name for this "sub-template", select the problem record and save. This "Sub-template" (my name not HPs) does the work for you.

We do this for Major Incidents - when large numers of calls come flooding in. We have a major Incident Template already linked to a "New Major Incident" problem record so that when the major incident starts the help desk simply use the template and all service calls are related to the problem. We can then update all the Callers in one hit from the problem record.

When the incident is over we create a new problem record for the next Major Incident and change the Service Call template to relate (use) this new problem record. Sweet.
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hi Elizabeth,

I didn't read all the posts so it may be a repeat.

We are 4.5 SP17 and yes you can have a Service Call Tempalte that is related to an existing problem record. Not sure why you want it on a Work Order Tab (unless your relations are on that tab)? Normally you would have a relations tab for prpblems changes etc. When creating the template there is a field called relations. Then click Add and then you must provide a name for this sub-template, select the problem record and save. This Sub-template (my name not HPs) does the work for you.

We do this for Major Incidents - when large numers of calls come flooding in. We have a major Incident Template already linked to a New Major Incident problem record so that when the major incident starts the help desk simply use the template and all service calls are related to the problem. We can then update all the Callers in one hit from the problem record.

When the incident is over we create a new problem record for the next Major Incident and change the Service Call template to relate (use) this new problem record. Sweet.
Elizabeth Niels
Trusted Contributor.

Fantastic... you were spot on David. I messed around with that for ages as I was using relate and could not find anything remotely useful so it was just Add instead..