Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Locking the fields in the form - Service Desk 5.0

Highlighted
nagu
Respected Contributor.

Locking the fields in the form - Service Desk 5.0

Hi,

I have one custom field has acknowdledgement, which stores data like "Yes/No". My requirement is if the field "acknowdledgemet = No", than all other fields should be locked or non editable. When it becomes "Yes" than it should be back to edit mode. Is there any way to do it in service desk 5.0.

For the same if it works in this way is also fine. acknowdlegement field is blank, than all other fields should be non editable. On other hand if acknowdlegement field contains data all other fields should be in editable mode.

This is urgent requirement, can anyone pls help me.

Thanks
Nagu
5 REPLIES
Naveen Jaiswal
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Locking the fields in the form - Service Desk 5.0

Hi Nagu,

I am not sure if you can make fields editable non editable like the way you want but you can write a UI rule which can have pre-configured data like Not-Applicable when the field Acknowledgment=No is selected.

HTH,
Naveen
A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purose of it. By MK Gandhi
FRANS_5
Super Contributor.

You may use a UI Rule "On Focus" and have User Notification as the action. If the notification is of type Error, it should deny the user access to the given field(s).

Note: in current SD5 this does not work. :( There's a bug logged on this and hopefully it will be fixed somehwere after SP1.
The early worm gets the bird.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Nagu,

I had the same sort of requirement for SD 4.5. I found a solution but its a bit long winded.

Firstly I created a UI rule which is based on any of the fields changing, (the ones which should not be changed) and the value of the Yes/No filed.

So, if value=No and field XXX has changhed is is anything. Then the action is a User Notification message saying the form cannot be updated and a second action which calls a Vb script file. The VB script file is just a very small text file with the extension .vbs it has to be present on every client computer in the same location so the rule can find it every time.

The script file simply does a screen refresh, which reloads the original values into all the fields on the form. So even if the user saves the form they will only save the original values.

Like I said its a bit long winded but itn works.

I've attached a word doc which contains an example of the UI rule and the refresh.vbs file.

Hope this helps.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

The other way also using the new On focus UI rule, is to write a UI rule on focus for each field you want to "freeze" which saves the value of the field. Then have another UI rule on value changed which restores the saved value and pops up a message.
But this only practical if a very small number of fields, not for the whole form. I think the vbs refresh script might be better.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
nagu
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for helping me.

I have used error notification in UI rule to lock the field till the field is updateded with values.

Thanks
Nagu