Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Lock specific fields in the Work order form related to a CR.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Viral Desai
Regular Contributor.

Lock specific fields in the Work order form related to a CR.

Hi all,

I have created a CR template with related Work orders - approval, implementation ,etc.
I am trying to see whether I can implement functionality where once the approval WO status is set to Closed, Specific fields on the Implementation WO become read only. Thus the end users cannot change the values in them.

I know that with status entitlement, I can make the entire field read only based on status change, however I am not sure whether it can be done at the field level.

Is this at all possible or is it one of the limitations of SD? We are running OVSD 4.5, SP16.

Thank you for your time.
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Lock specific fields in the Work order form related to a CR.

Hello,

It can be done at the field level provided that the fields are custom fields. Custom fields can be activated at specified categories and be read only at the rest. Unfortunately HP didn't provide the same functionality for built-in fields.
menes fhtagn
Viral Desai
Regular Contributor.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately most of the fields are all out of the box, with some exceptions.

Not sure if there is another way to go about accomplishing this.

I appreciate your time.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Hi,

I had the same requirement for fields on the SC form.

The only way I found to be able to do it was to create UI rules.

These rules are triggered when the field is changed. They bring up a User Notification message to say that the field cannot be changed. The rule then reset the original value into the field.

Fortunately, in my case, these fields are things like Status, which move in a logical sequence. Therefore I can know what the Status should be at any given time and can therefore set it back to that value.

Other fields which are protected in this way are date/time fields, which should be blank, so resetting them is just a case of blanking them.

To reset a field to its previous value you could use "send keys" to invoke a form refresh, (F5), but this would refresh the entire form and possibly loose some valid data that had been entered.

Another possibility is to use hidden custom fields on the form which can be used to hold a copy of the displayed fields. These fields can be updated by a rule each time the form is closed, so they always have the latest values.

Then when the value needs to be reset you simply copy the value from the hidden field to the displayed field.

Of course the best method would be for HP to allow fields of all types to be "locked" by a UI or DB rule....perhaps one day.....

I hope this is of some help.
Viral Desai
Regular Contributor.

Cheers,

Thank you very much. I will try an implement as detailed. Will post results.
Appreciate your time.

BR.