Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Location problem in import

Highlighted
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Location problem in import

Hi!

Is there by any chance possible to add a location during an import?

I have got some printers wich is located at Location1, Location2... but i really don't want to manually enter this information before I do an import. (I have many printers in many locations!!!)

By the way, is it possible to concatenate two or more import fields into one field in SD? eg. add IP-address, MAC-address and Comments into the Remark field during import?

Best regards, Mathias
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Location problem in import

Hello,

About concatenation, this is possible at least for concatenating fixed string value with another. For example in a configuration file (the db is oracle) I have the following line:

COLUMNS='C'||[CUSTOMERS].[CUST_REF] as [SEARCHCODE]

I assume that

COLUMNS=[TABLE_1].[FIELD_1]||[TABLE_2].[FIELD_2]||... [TABLE_N].[VALUE_N] as [REMARK] will do the trick. I haven't test it and I don't thing that this will work on an SQL Server.

menes fhtagn
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hello George and thanks for your reply!

Unfortunantely it didn't work because I'm using an MS Excelsheet as source... I get an error message claiming it doesn't recognize the '||' signs...

Actually, I can't really say that I've ever seen this kind of syntax, with concatinating with ||, I assume it's an Oracle thing!?

Any other suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks, Mathias
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

I managed to fix the concatenation by simply write [METAFRAME]+' '+[KOMMENTAR] AS [REMARK]in the COLUMNS field, and then relate to [REMARK] in the ATT field!

New problem arise all the time... is it possible to add a line break in the ini-file? I've read some posts about this subject, but it doesn't seem to apply to me!

I've found out that it's not possible to write like this: [METAFRAME]+'\n'+[KOMMENTAR] AS [REMARK], because \n will appear in the text. I have also tried {CRLF}, chr(13);, %line.separator%, \r,

, but none of the above works. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Mathias

Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Well, I manged to solve the location issue by simply import the locations first, and after that do the actual import of printers. Not the cleanest solution, but it works!

I'll post a new thread concerning line breaks.
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Please look for the solution(s) in the previous threads!
/Mathias