The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location in service today views?

Highlighted
Jan Gunnar Helg

Location in service today views?

My manager has requested the ability to add the location field to the service today views.

Is this possible, and if so how?
6 REPLIES
Jan Gunnar Helg

Re: Location in service today views?

Forgot to mention that we have a custom location field for service calls that we wont to be able to display in the views under service today.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

service today fields are limited to common fields for the different modules.

Can you use a rule to copy the value of the custom location field to one of the available common fields for service today?
Jan Gunnar Helg

I doubt I can free up any I will have a look.

So there is no way to create a new common field?

(Using SD 4.5 SP21)
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Jan,

You can't do that even if you create a common code field for all entities. You see, service today is actually an entity itself. The difference with other common entities is that the service today entity is abstract. That means that unless you hack OVSD db you can't create a new "service today".

Service desk entities are grouped into hierarchies. The fields of any entity are automatically inherited by the children of that entity.

In "Service today" views you see the fields of the service today entity. And since problems, service calls etc are children of service today entity, they inherit its fields.

That's why fields like Actual Start, Planned Start, Assignment, Requestor etc are present in *ALL* service today entities while other fields like "Caller" exist only in service calls.

If you are willing to modify OVSD you can add "location" to service today but
1. While this can be done in UI you also have to modify *by hand* all main entity tables, directly in the DB.
2. You are definitely going to loose support from HP.
3. You may have problems upgrading to a newer service pack.
menes fhtagn
Izzy UK
Super Collector

Hi all,

I have the same issue but under Service Today - Customise View - Location we have Requestor Location but it is empty and I cannot find where or how that field (or entity) could be populated. I am more than happy to UI a copy to that field but I cant find it! I have done full SQL DB search for it and it does seem to exist (SELECT name FROM sysobjects WHERE id IN (SELECT id FROM syscolumns WHERE name like 'requestor location'))

But have a look at the attachment and you will see that I have it listed there. Anyone know where it is or how to get to it?
Jan Gunnar Helg

Hi

The field Requestor Location is located on the Person.

In the GUI it would be Requestor; Requestor location.

What I have done as we don't use Requestor but caller is that whenever a service call is created it copies the Caller to the Requestor. The requestor holds the locatio information, and this can be shown in service today.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event