Link Primary Workgroup to Change Assignee

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jamie ODonnell
Trusted Contributor.

Link Primary Workgroup to Change Assignee

SD 4.5 SP 18 Windows

I have a Primary Workgroup field and Assignee field which I would like to behave like the Assignment to person and Assignment to workgroup field. So when you pick a person it will show you the workgroups they are in or if just one auto populate. If you pick a workgroup and click on the to person it shows a list of the people in the choosen workgroup. Is there a way to do this using the custom fields listed above?

Thank you,
Jamie
9 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Link Primary Workgroup to Change Assignee

Jamie,

How about a UI rule triggered by a change in the Primary Workgroup field which displays an overview of the persons in the workgroup, or which runs sd_dataform to display them. I cannot try it right now, but perhaps you can drag and drop the desired person into the Assignee field.

As for the inverse procedure, it is not clear to me what the point of having a Primary workgroup field is, if you want to display a list of workgroups and choose one. Why not use the existing functionality and populate your Primary Workgroup field whenever the Assignment to WOrkgroup field is updated. Otherwise, you can still use the overview or sd_dataform technique.

-Josh.
Jamie ODonnell
Trusted Contributor.

I am using the Assignment to Person and Assignment To Workgroup as SD designed. I also have a Change coordinator and Change Assignee and Primary Workgroup that I would like to behave as the Assignment To Person and Assignment To Workgroup with the quick find.

The Change Coordinator and Change Assignee must be in the same workgroup (per process) We could make this a process step where the user just has to ensure that the users are in the same workgroup. I thought if I could automate this I could take out user error.

I can't figure out how to do this using SD_Dataform - any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jamie,

You can use sd_dataform, with the -listalways parameter, to display a list of all the PERSONS who are in the same workgroup as the primary workgroup of the Change coordinator. Drag and drop one of those people into the Change assignee field. I am not able to check this right now, but you might be able to achieve the same thing with an overview action. In both cases, use an UI rule to run the action when Change coordinator is changed to something.

You cannot prevent people from ignoring this list, but you might be able to create another UI rule to check at save time that the information is coherent and display an error if it is not.

-Josh
Jamie ODonnell
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you for your fast reply. Can you help me with the syntax? I am not familiar with display a list of all the PERSONS who are in workgroup using sd_dataform.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Jamie
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

There are some details in the Admin Guide. Look to use sd_dataform paramaters -listalways look at this thread for some additional details on using sd_dataform

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=808712
Jamie ODonnell
Trusted Contributor.

Maybe it is just me but I don't understand where people are getting the syntax: sd_dataform "Person" +"UserOfCI.Configuration Item.Searchcode=APVISIO" -listalways

Where do you come up with UserOfCI.Configuration Item.Searchcode?

To display all of the Workgroups a "person" is in?
To displya all of the people in a workgroup?

I have no idea where to start. I have looked at mutliple forums and the admin guide. Can someone point me to where I can figure out the syntax?

Confused...

Thank you,
Jamie
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jamie,

I do not think that the syntax of how to express a relation in sd_dataform is really documented. I find that the best approach is to try to construct that relationship within, for example, a DB rule where you update a related item. After you select the item from the drop down lists, OVSD finally displays a string in the field to update. This is essentially the same sort of string you will use in sd_dataform, although you need to use "." instead of ";".

Hope this points you in the right direction.

-Josh
Jamie ODonnell
Trusted Contributor.

It worked - thanks for the kick in the right direction!!

I wish I could give you 100 points.

Jamie
Jamie ODonnell
Trusted Contributor.

Does anyone know why the drag and drop option only works for the system account? I tried it logged in as any role with View/New/Modify access to the Change module with Write access to the field I am tyring to drop it into.

It will allow me to drag and drop to the information/description field but not the change coordinator/change assignee field.

Thanks,
Jamie