Limit access to part of admin console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

Limit access to part of admin console

Hello all,

I was wondering if it were possible to grant access to only a portion of the admin console. In particular we were looking at allowing access to create new inbound email addresses.

We are using Service Desk 4.5 SP 11 right now.

Thank you

Craig
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
5 REPLIES
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

Re: Limit access to part of admin console

I don't believe that there is any way to delegate this portion of the admin panel.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

You can limit users to have the ability to reset passwords etc. but not to set inbound email addresses.
Raman Shcharbak
Honored Contributor.

As possible resolution you can write web-api programm (service page) that will allow to perform needed functionality. Then you must allow access to this program only to specified group using for example web page authentication. Only successfully authenticated users will be able to run a program.
Or you can create DB user and grant him insert priv on a corresponding table. So this users will be able to do this job connecting directly to database.
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking you couldn't grant persmission to it but just wanted to verify. I'm trying to delegate some of the operational stuff to the lower tier folks so I can focus on development a bit more. The guys can already give themselves the sysadmin role anyways if they really wanted to (because they have access to roles) so I'm not too concerned. I just want to see if I could set this up so they wouldn't have admin so they wouldn't mess up something by accident. Oh well..either they'll get sysadmin access or our current sysadmins will have to do this stuff. Our sysadmins on prod are really busy with other tasks but even still its kinda frustrating to take 3 weeks to get a new HPSD inbound email account created.

Thanks again.
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

You could try this approach.

Give them an additional account that has the sys admin role. For general use they log on with their default account. For OVSD admin tasks that log on with the elevated account.

It takes the onus off of them from making a error while logged in doing general activities. It does rely on the users using the correct account.