Did you mean: 

Limit ability to assign tickets to a workgroup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Craig R Taylor
Collector

Limit ability to assign tickets to a workgroup

We are looking to create some new workgroups where there only function would be for approval groups. Because of this we do not want service calls, incidents etc to be assigned to these workgroups.

I tried to use folder to restrict access to the workgroups in question but it still allows assignment to them.

Is there a way to prevent access to workgroups in the folder? (Beyond writing a UI rule that is...that I can do but I don't want to have to.) I am hoping to use something out of the box that will help me accomplish this.

Thanks

Craig
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
6 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Limit ability to assign tickets to a workgroup

Hello Craig,

I don't think that folders can help you. Because in order not to be able to list these work groups in that folder no one should have even view access. So these workgroups couldn't been used even when the right conditions where met (a user tried to link an approval group).

I can't think any way to accomplish what you want without a UI rule.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Craig,

I have a similar requirement and solved it using a UI rule.

The rule does 2 things
1) Clears the workgroup on save
2) Pops up an error user notification to inform the user not to use the groups (hopefully the user will get the mesage)

Craig R Taylor
Collector

Yeah that's kinda what I thought. At least its a quick rule to write.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Craig
-=R=-
Frequent Visitor

Hey Craig,

I'd do it with a custom field and a UI rule. The Custom Field would be a boolean value on the Workgroup object named "CanBeAssigned" that defaults to 1. You make your UI rule so that it warns / prevents users from assigning to a group with a value of 0. This will be handy if your list of Workgroups requiring this feature fluctuates. Everything is handled at the Workgroup level instead of the UI Rule.

This of course assumes that you're not running 5.x and have allready used up the boolean fields for that object. Thanks HP!
Craig R Taylor
Collector

Actually I will still use the folder to group together these workgroups. Then I will write UI rules to prevent assignment to them.

E.g.
Before the item is saved
where Assignment;To Workgroup;Folder equals Approval Groups
Cannot assign to Approval groups (User Notification Message)

If you select error for the Severity then the item won't be saved.

I just wanted to see if there was a built in way rather than creating rules that did the same thing as a builtin mechanism.
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Craig,

If you are on a SP that has enabled generic relationships you can do it using that.

Have a relationship between the category of SC and the relvant groups, and the category of items which link to approval groups.

Then have UI rules for each relavnt item type which limits by relation.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event