cancel

Limit Assignment Groups from one group to another

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Limit Assignment Groups from one group to another

We would like to limit ticket assignment from one group to another (Certain groups can only assign tickets to certain groups) is there a way to do this through relations. (I tried with no luck)or does this all have to be done via UI rules
9 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Limit Assignment Groups from one group to another

Hello Rory,

This is a job for Generic Relations. Create a Generic Relation from Workgroup to Workgroup.
There you can instert what group can assign to what group.

For Example
A -> A
A -> B
A -> C
B -> B
C -> C
C -> A

then create a UI rule that when assignment to workgroup is anything to limit field based on generic relations and as source select "Assignment;To Workgroup" and as relation the relation you've created earlier.

So, if the ticket is assigned to C, then it can be reassigned only to C or to A. If it is assigned to B, only to B etc.

If it is assigned to a group D that is not part of the generic relation then no limiting will occur.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

BTW, SP17 or later is needed. Also works on v5.1 where generic relations are also introduced.
menes fhtagn
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

I am highly delighted to report that this is a good example of the power of Generic Relationships, with a bit of tedious set-up a single UI rule can limit just as you describe.

You'll need a Generic Relation Group Type of "WG to WG" then two Generic Relation Types for the "From WG" and "To WG". Then you have to define "groups" of WG on the "TO" side. Then you have to hang each of the values onto a "FROM" side as well (feels tedious about here).

But when it's in place (just do a sample to get started) a single UI rule firing on "OPEN NEW or EXISTING" can limit via the relation - looks excellent on my test system!
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

George and I must have been typing at the same time!
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

PS George has gone in at the bottom level and linked values to values - this is OK if there are not too many but numbers build up exponentially.

I have taken the "groups" approach so that when a new value is added you just have to accommodate it in a From group and a To group rather than making n connections.
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

I must be doing something incorrectly on the realtions could somebody take a look at my screen shots and point me in the right directions? I will award points when I finally figure this thing out and thanks for all comments / help
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Here is the attachment / screen shot
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well, it depends on the implementantion. For example for relating services to classifications we use generic relations groups to group similar services while there is no need for such approach for work groups.

Rory, you have defined two generic relations and not generic relations group.

If you are going to use generic relations group you also need to
1. Define the groups
2. fill the "From group type" and "To group type".

But if you only want to limit the values for 4 workgroups you really don't need generic relation groups.

In your example, you have defined to generic relations "Groups To" and "Groups from".

If in UI rules specify as Relation "Groups from" and your rule is fired when Assignment;To is anything then if the current assignment is to ITOPS SOC then using the relations the list will be limited to "Apex, Change, CI and Datashare".

If you use "Groups To" and assignment to; is one of these four workgroups then the list will be limited to "ITOPS SOC"

menes fhtagn
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Actuall I have about 60 groups that this is need for the attchment I showed was just an example. I will go through the replies to see if I can figure it out and get back to you. Thanks and I will award the points when I get this to work