Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Levels of Services can be defined

Highlighted
Leep
Regular Collector

Levels of Services can be defined

I have a question: we are reviewing all our services. Earlier, we got recommendation from the consultant company which told us not to define Services more than 3 levels, it will create performance problem. I wonder if it is still the case today. Is there a limitation how many levels it can be when we define services?

For example:
Service 1
|_ Service 2
|_ Service 3

this is the recommendation from the company.

Can we do like:

Service 1
|_ Service 2
|_ Service 3
|_ Service 4
|_ Service 5

or even more? We are using SD 4.5, SP17.

Many thanks,
Leep
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Levels of Services can be defined

Hello,

What performance problems do they have in mind? The reference to parent service entity is just like a reference to a code entity, at least for services. Each service can have only one parent. Admitely the "in tree with root" could be heavy if you had endless levels but besides that I cannot see the problem. But this is not the point.

The idea of parent-child relation in services is that the "parent" service have a child that can also offered as sevice.

Service 1
|_service 2
|_service 3
|_service 4

means that there are 4 services offered
Service 4, is a part of service 3 but can be also offered alone. Service 3 is part of service 2 but also can be offered alone. Service 2 is part of service 1 and also can be offered alone.

It's pretty confusing though don't think that leads to dramatic perfomance problems.

I could be wrong though.
menes fhtagn
Leep
Regular Collector

Hi!
Many thanks for a quick reply. After clicking on the Submit button, the format is lost.

We try group services, for example,

Central Services (1st level)
........Hosting Services (2n level)
...............DB2 (3rd level)
...............SAP (3rd level)
....................BW (4th level)
....................APO (4th level)
....................QM (4th level)

It is about service hierarchy. The advice from earlier consultant is to limit only to 3 levels, i.e.

Central Services (1st level)
.......Hosting Services (2n level)
...............DB2 (3rd level)
...............SAP (3rd level) - BW
...............SAP (3rd level) - APO
...............SAP (3rd level) - QM

otherwise, the peformance will be slow.

Many thanks.

George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Leep,

The question you should ask yourself is that: "Do we want 4 levels of services?"

The parent relation should not used for grouping similar services. The parent-child means "The parent is a service, it contains the child as service and the child could be offered standalone as service". If this is your need I don't think that 4 levels should make such a big difference. Admitedly the "tree" view would be heavy but not in a such dramatic way.

We do have 4 levels of services and so far we haven't see big problems. Admidetly the service list isn't quite big.
menes fhtagn
Leep
Regular Collector

Hi, George!
Many thanks.
Leep
Regular Collector

See the answer from George.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event