The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDAP import unknown characters

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
HPOPV+
Collector

LDAP import unknown characters

I have SD5.1 patch1 installed on windows 2003 sp1
When doing data exchange form the ldap I am getting unknown characters for names that have special characters like special French language characters
Any way to fix this

Regards
8 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: LDAP import unknown characters

Either make sure that the charcter set of the database is the same or a superset of the character set of your xml file;

or

Code your characters in the xml file using &nnn; system. You could do a search and replace on the xml file to handle this before importing it with data exchange.

-Josh
HPOPV+
Collector

Thanks for your reply, but I need some clarification, how can I make sure that the character set of the database is the same or superset of the character set of my xml file ?
And how can I code my xml using &nnn ?

Regards;
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Well, the character sets you are using need to be documented somewhere, depending on the Operating Systems you are using, and depending on the character set you specified when you created the OVSD database.

As for your XML file, all I am suggesting is that you do a search and replace to fix up any accented characters. So, for example, you might replace all examples of "lower case e circonflex" by "&136;" or by "ê"; replace "lower case a accent grave" by "&133;" or by "à" and so forth. Since this coding uses only the 7bit ASCII character set, it ought to work no matter what.

-Josh
HPOPV+
Collector

I was able to modify the xml file with notepad but I want to schedule the ldap import so I cant do it manually everytime, so I must go with the first solution. The character set is different from the ldap which is ISO 8859 latin and for the db of sd I have sql 2000 sp4 I think it is ASCII so is there a way to get the correct characters in my data exchange ?

Thanks
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

I would try to modify the character set of the database, which probably should not be ASCII. I am not a DBA so I do not know how hard that is to do. In the worse case, you might need to dump all your data, create a new database, then reload the data, but it might be a lot simpler than that.

I do not know how you are creating the XML files, but at some point there must be a step that is under the control of a scheduler. You just need to add into the schedule the script to fix up your characters, before the import into OVSD is done. There are a large number of batch tools that do this sort of work, the simplest and most effective being sed.

-Josh

HPOPV+
Collector

There is a new language pack for sd5.1 installing it will resolve my problem ?

Thx
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor
Solution

Essayez donc
HPOPV+
Collector

Thx josh “Essayez donc” resolved the problem i installed pach2 and then the language pack and i did the export again and i still got the unknown caracters but when i imported it into SD all characters are correct

Regards;
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event