Did you mean: 

KEDB / Problem Search from Service Call

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Kelvin Aston
Occasional Contributor

KEDB / Problem Search from Service Call

I'm trying to implement a simple way for my team to search the Problem and Known Error Database from a Service Call.

The current method is a bit long winded - they go to Relations>Relate>Problem>Advanced Find>Advanced>Field>KE Keywords then enter the words in the Value field, click Add To List then click Find Now.

I'm thinking that (if it's possible) it needs an Overview Action of some kind.

I've made one that displays ALL Known Errors and then I can drag relevant ones to the service call and select the relationship type. However, I can't find a way of limiting the records that are returned to ones which contain specific values in the KE Keywords field. I think this is because you can't use text fields as a Link Condition for Overview Actions but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with Overview Actions? Should I be approaching this a different way? Or is it just not possible and I'm wasting my time?

Thanks for any help

Kelvin
8 REPLIES
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Re: KEDB / Problem Search from Service Call

Hi Kelvin,

From what I understand from your problem is that while relating the problem to a service call, you should get a list of problems whose known error checkbox is enabled..If so then you can define the view in problem with filter as "known error is yes" and call that view while relating..

Also overview actions will display the list of problems with known errors but you want to relate those problems with the SC which I doubt whether we can relate through Overview actions or not?

Kindly elaborate your problem more..

Regards,
Akhil
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Kelvin,

Basically the issue here is that overview actions do not allow you to use the conditions you need.

The trick is to use sd_dataform (for 4.5). This is documented in chap 5 of the admin guide but basically you would do something like:

sd_dataform -ListAlways "Problem for name" "Description[Contains]string for matching"

Try it manually in a DOS box to experiment with parameters and then set up a smart action whihc uses it.

If you go fro string matching, you could have a text field on the SC which when you put the string fired a UI rule to look in problems.

Hope something here helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Kelvin,

You are right about the overview actions. We use them for exactly the same purpose, but only based on the CI or on the category of the CI.

Another way of achieving more or less the same thing is to use sd_dataform run from a Smart Action. In this way, you can pass a text field as the parameter for which to search and you end up with a list from which you can open, drag-and-drop, etc., and the command will appear in more or less the same area as overview actions. You could run it from the Actions menu. Consider using the sd_dataform parameter listalways.

-Josh
Kelvin Aston
Occasional Contributor

Excellent! Exactly what I needed!

Thanks to both Ruth and Josh for the correct answer. 1 extra point to Ruth for getting there 16 seconds earlier.

Kelv
Kelvin Aston
Occasional Contributor

Sorry,

I think I'm being thick here. I don't seem to be able to drag and drop my results into the relations tab. I can drag into the information field, description etc but not the relations field.

Should I be able to?

Kelv
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Kelvin,

I do not have a 4.5 version loaded but as far as I can remeber, you have to have the the actual relations part of the screen showing (rather than just the tab) and then you drag and drop to the area where you view the relations.

If this is not clear just ask and I will post a screen shot,

Regards

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Kelvin Aston
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ruth

Apparently either myself or my Service Desk client was having a bad moment earlier. Having gone for lunch and restarted everything it's all now fine.

once again, thanks for the help.

Kelv
Kelvin Aston
Occasional Contributor

resolved
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event