cancel

Java error when opening attachments

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Java error when opening attachments

I am running Service Desk 4.5 Service Pack 16 and have only one user that can't open attachments she receives a Java.lang.NoClass.DefFoundError (See attachment) when she tries to open old or new attachments. She is running XP with Service Pack 2 and I had here shut off the Firewall but she receives the same error. I mad sure the perl scrip file was in the itsm7474 folder before the install. Is this really a java error and should we re-install Java on the client machine?
6 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Java error when opening attachments

Hello Rory,

The perl file is meant to be run in order to convert the old layout to the new layout.

see http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=972896
menes fhtagn
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

While is it only 1 person that would be having the problems with attachments?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

You mean that you haven't run the perl script and nontheless only this person has problems?

Is there by any chance that this person tries to open a pre-SP16 attachment? Can you?

or I missunderstood and you *did* have executed the perl prior to upgrading to SP16 ?
menes fhtagn
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Ok it seems that I screwed this up. I thought all I had to do was place that file in the itsm7474 folder before the install and I did not have to do anything else but that seems not to be the case. So what I am suppose to do is copy the old attachment folder to another name run the script? that converts the old attchment folder and coverts it? Is that correct?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Rory,

In your case it's a bit complicated since this procedure is supposed to be executed before the actual upgrade. If you have new attachments you have "altered" already the old attachment structure. I have seen that the perl script takes in account only the files that supposed to be to the right place and skips the rest but I cannot guarantee for that.

Execute perl mig_attachments.pl -c
making sure that the new attachment root exists. Also use -c because I think it's safer to copy the files than creating hard links. (the bonus of that is that after the convertion you can delete the old attachment root).

Once the perl script ends go to the old attachment root and find the directories that don't seem to like like the old structure. perl script probably skipped this directories so you have to move to the new root trying to keep their structure.
menes fhtagn
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks I will give it a try and let you know if I have any problems. I do not know how I could have missed this