Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Java NULL Pointer Error in SD

Highlighted
nija patel
Super Contributor.

Java NULL Pointer Error in SD

Hi,

I am getting the error (Screenshot Attached) while opening SD client after giving login id and password.

I have deleted user's cache. Still getting this error.

Can Anyone help me??

Regards,
Nija
8 REPLIES
Robs_3
Honored Contributor.

Re: Java NULL Pointer Error in SD

Hi Nija,
this error may occur for a number of reasons, it a Java error that can usually be corrected through reinstallation of certain applications.
Firstly can you confirm that this problem is local to your workstation only? or are you logging in on the SD server? that is, I am trying to identify that this is isolated from the server.

Secondly are there any other applications or services running in the background on your workstation that could have effected your Java?

Please confirm and repost your results.

nija patel
Super Contributor.

Hi,

This is the problem with the local system itself. And if other programs are using JAVA in background then how can i find it out???

Thank You

Regards,
Nija
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

Try Rob's first suggestion - reinstallation of OVSD client.
nija patel
Super Contributor.

Hi,

I have reinstalled OVSD 2-3 times but still getting this error.

Thank You

Regards,
Nija
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

I have faced this issue some time back and documneted the steps to resolve it.

Pls download the PDF form the below site. It will give you step-by-step instructions to fix it.

http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview/

and download "Service Desk Client Hangs or Shows JAVA Error etc"

Let me know if you need any more help.

-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Nick Brace
Outstanding Contributor.

Nija,

we have about 400 users on this site and I must fix this error at least a couple of times a week. It seems to occur on a totally ramdom basis irrespective of the users OS, role or hardware. I do not know why this happens but if you browse to the folder that the cache folder resides in,(something like "settings\application data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk") and delete all the files (not folders) in this folder then the client should start correctly. You may want to take a copy of the views.dat file as that holds all the user's personal views.

This has worked for me many many times, I even talk the users through how to fix their problem over the phone. If anybody knows why this happens I'd like to know?

Best of luck
Nick
Pint of Carlsberg please?
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi

You can also try the switches for the client

eg: sd_client /reset

or sd_client /purge

it should be run from the C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\bin
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Nija,

Have you tried to delete User.dat and create it again?

In these kind of errors as a general rule, keep a backup of everything under C:\Documents and Settings\PROFILE NAME\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk\ and delete it.

Then run client again. If it run correctly, try to move back the Views.dat file (custom views).
Generaly copy one by one any file under directory Service Desk (not the subdirectories) until you find what caused the problems.

Sometimes is a corrupted user.dat, other times srv.dat etc...
menes fhtagn