Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Is there a way to use another CI field besised Code in Alarm or Service Call

Highlighted
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Is there a way to use another CI field besised Code in Alarm or Service Call

We want to quit using the CI Code field due to 50 character limitation in Service Desk and change it to a 80 character field with a new field name. All work well except when you have the CI field in The Alarm and Service Calls it shows the Code field until you click on the CI field and then the CI Name field appears. IS there a way to remove the Code field being used. I have went through Search Views, CI View, Relations view etc and I do not have the code in any of them. It seems like this might be a hard coded functionality in Service Desk. Has anybody done this before?
4 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Is there a way to use another CI field besised Code in Alarm or Service Call

What's Alarm? Do you mean Incident?
What's CI Code? Do you mean CI Search code?

If that's what it is, the help files state the following:

"The search code of the configuration item is used as a shorthand reference for the configuration item. Refer to your organization's procedures for standards on creating search codes."

I find using more than 30 characters to describe anything less than practical. Indeed, you cannot prevent the search code from being displayed, but you can use other fields to perform search (Administrator Console > Presentation > Search > Configuration Item > Search field). Seems to me right now you are using Name 1.

Also less than practical is to add yet another field to identify CIs when there's Name 1 and Name 2 (both 255 char length) available out-of-the-box.

Anyhoo, hope this helps.
Do not forget to assign points.

The Pike
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Is there a way to use another CI field besised Code in Alarm or Service Call

Thanks for the Validation that it was not possible to change this. We are now going to stick with the 50 chracter field and shorton up our names
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

If the answer was helpful, it'd be cool if you assigned points...

The Pike
Rory Emmans
Outstanding Contributor.

I thought I did when I replied but I must have skipped by accident. The points have now been assigned and thanks again