Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Install Java webstart on Linux RH

Highlighted
Daniel T Walmsl
Trusted Contributor.

Install Java webstart on Linux RH

I have installed J2RE1.4.2_08 on a Linux RH server in order to install the Java Web start GUI for service desk 5.1. I am receiving a error stating the ovconsole-9.jnlp could not be opened.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
2 REPLIES
bpgraham
Super Contributor.

Re: Install Java webstart on Linux RH

You need to make sure that the *.jnlp file type is associated with the javaw binary. If you install the 1.4.2_08 from Sun, it will install WebStart, but it won't perform the associations between the browser and the WebStart environment automatically. Check the configuration notes from Sun on how to associate the WebStart environment with some of the more popular browser types. If all else fails, find the bin yourself, and update the browser through the options panel to connect the file type with the binary.
Daniel T Walmsl
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Install Java webstart on Linux RH

Hi bpgraham

Thanks for the reply.

I have installed J2RE1.4.2_08 and was able to successfully associate the ovconsole.jnlp file to javaws/javaws app. The console still will not load do you have any other suggestions.

Everything works as it should in Windows and the console is the way I need to go, but I have to get it to work on Linux red hat (of coursed the HP rep who demoed said it would work fine, but of course heâ s gone). The web console will not suffice.

Thanks again
Dan