Information field in service call

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
CA1501973
Honored Contributor.

Information field in service call

Hi,

System handle is SD 4.5 on windows platform.

Their is one text field called "Information" which is the system field.

We are auditing this field. Whetever In history lines when we click on this field, it shows us a information in Subject field of History lines form instead of "Information' field.

Please suggest.
9 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Information field in service call

Hi,

you could look at using the a 4K text field for receiving the update and using a DB rule to concatenate this to the 64K text field to have all the updates in the one 64K field.

Saves having to use the history lines which stores the individual updates seperatly.

There are numerous posts on creating a diary.

Does this help?
CA1501973
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

I am sorry, i m not able to get your point.

My point is we have one field called "Information" on service call form. Engineers update this field whenever there is any change in service call.

Whenever this field gets changed, it gets shown in history page as areauditing this field. But when we double click to see entire information in 'History line form", it shows trancated information but in "Subject field" instead of information field.

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

Basically that is the way auditing works - the subject field in the history shows the old and new values of the field. The Information field in the history is just for you to add other comments if you want - it is not used when a system history line is added.

What Mark was describing was an alternative way of approaching this. If you would like more assiatnce on this just ask,

Regards, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
CA1501973
Honored Contributor.

Hi ,

Thanks for your information. I agree that only subject field gets updated not the information. But subject field is truncating text in that case what mark has provide should be abettre option.

Please explain in detail if possible what should be done to create DB rule.

CA1501973
Honored Contributor.

Hi ,

Thanks for your information. I agree that only subject field gets updated not the information. But subject field is truncating text in that case what mark has provide should be a better option.

Please explain in detail if possible what should be done to create DB rule.

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi there,

Many clients using HPSD use a "diary" style system.

To do this you activate the 64Kb text field (say call it User history) and have a 4K text field that will act as the source for diary updates; this can be the OOTB Information field or a custom 4k text field (say call it user log).

Then you set up DB rules that are something like:
When SC is created, when user log is not empty, action: update data to use the concatenate function to combine the current source entry with the entries already in the user history and a timestamp + name of user who made the change. For example when using the Information field as the source:

When service call is created
where NOT (Information (*) is empty)
Concatenate Inf into inf history (Update Data) Information History set to (Concatenate (Concatenate [Registration Created by Display name] With (Concatenate , With (Concatenate [Registration Created] ))) With (Concatenate [Information] With (Concatenate

With [Information History])))

You would need a similar one for modified and we ususally also have a rule which empties the source field.

Hope this helps, Ruth

(and it does it might be good to assign points - I see your profile says you have assigned points to 0 of 50 responses to your questions!)
http://www.teamultra.net
CA1501973
Honored Contributor.

Hi Ruth,

I will definitely give points on this case. But I need one mopre clarification.

You have mentioned about "User History' field and somewhere you have mentioned about 'Information History" field. These two fields are same?

In which item of service desk, I need to create this field. IS it in Service Call?

Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

yes you wil be using fields in the Service Call Item. Use the 64K field and a 4k field (which you can change the label names on)
Tommy Koronen_1
Super Contributor.

You can add the "New value" field to the "History Line Service Call" form to see the whole audited Information field.

/Tommy