Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Inbound email command not working

Highlighted
Madanagopal
Trusted Contributor.

Inbound email command not working

Hi,

I have configured my email settings and tested for inbound and outbound email.Outbound mails are working perfect. But my inbound mails are not working.Can any one help me.

Regards,
Karthic
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Inbound email command not working

Hi,

can you post a screen shot of the inbound setting and the address that you are using to send the mails to.
Madanagopal
Trusted Contributor.

I have attached the screen shot of my inbound email settings.

Regards,
Karthic
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Karthic,

Make sure your email "new" command doesn't have a restriction on it that may be the cause - do a test with "no restriction". Also put in an address for the logging and you might get some clues.

Ensure the template for incoming emails will set required fields.

When you send a message does anything come back?

Your exchange setup will need a new routing group connector for the email domain that you want for service desk emails. We also have a contact in the AD that maps an internal address to the "external" service desk address.

If any of this doesn't make sense - repost and I can expand.

Cheers
Madanagopal
Trusted Contributor.

Hi David,

This is the first time i'm using this inbound mail feature, can you please expand me the settings that i need to perform to get a call logged from a mail.

Regards,
Karthic
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Typically if your current exchange email domain is

isoftgroup.co.uk

consider having the service desk server as

servicedesk.isoftgroup.co.uk

Then in Exchange your admins can create a smtp connector/routing group specifically for the servicedesk.isoftgroup.co.uk that points to the service desk server. (Nothing special required in DNS). Then they should be able to create a contact in the Active Directory that has for example

Autolog@isoftgroup.co.uk
and
Autolog@servicedesk.isoftgroup.co.uk set as primary smtp address for this contact.

Then your users will see the autolog in the Global Address List - you can hide it until you are ready.

This will make the email get to the service desk server without any MX records etc.

Then ensure that Autolog@servicedesk.isoftgroup.co.uk is listed on the inbound email addresses property.

After having these you should at least having incoming mail hitting your service desk server - and if there are problem it will send a reply to the sender.

Note that the reply to and from can be different and if the reply to is autolog@isoftgroup.co.uk then users can reply to emails and get history entries added. But if you make the from address something else (eg HelpDesk@isoftgroup.co.uk) it will protect against Out of Office assistants etc causing loops. However the exchange admins can also do some protection on the routing group.

Cheers

PS: I'm going home now - 18:17 here.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

inbound e-mail address should be in the format of what comes after the "@" xxx.com so remove karthic.madangopal and instead just leave it set to wipro.com

Also be sure that your e-mail admins have set up a mail routing path to the openview server (in outlook it may be a connector that is required in order to be able to relay mail to the openview server.) Without this your mail won't even touch the openview server.

We created a new internal address to ensure that only mail for openview was addressed to the openview server. The address in this case woudl have been e.g. servicedesk.wipro.com (just an extension of the first comment)

Try again once this is changed.

Don't forget to assign points for all the help. Thanks