Importing servicecalls from an external source

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
CorusIJmuiden
Contributor.

Importing servicecalls from an external source

All,

We would like to enter servicecalls into servicedesk from an external source.
The external source is an helpdesk equipped with a non-hp openview servicedesk application.
Call data is delivered to us and put into an Oracle table.

With the hp export utility: I produced the xml file.
With the hp import utility: I loaded the xml file using the system account into servicdesk 4.5 SP22.

We would like to import the creation date stated in the Oracle table (filled by 3rd party)
The call gets registered in servicedesk, but with the creation date (Now)
And therefore gets a deadline based upon the date/time the call was imported.

If I try to do a second update (import) and adjust the creation date or deadline, I get the folowing errors:

** Program error: the attribute ' registered.' of this service call cannot be modified, because the service call item was opened in view mode or because the attribute is read-only. while processing attribute REGISTERED You are not allowed to view this priority or this may have been deleted by another user.

** The date for Deadline cannot be earlier than the date specified for Registered. Enter a later date. while processing attribute DEADLINE

I hope there is a solution to this issue.

Kind regards,

Martijn Groeneveld
5 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Importing servicecalls from an external source

Hi there,

You cannot alter the creation date but you can take the original date into Actual start (or possibly a custom field) instead.

You can then use business logic to adjust the Deadline to start from Actual start. If this before the SD creation date I don't think there is much you can do other than to use a different field (possibly a custom one)

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Martijn,

I had this problem once when I had to do a rollback (from SP14 to SP13). Needless to say that this wasn't the prettier experience of my life.

I had the same problems with dates. What I did is to create an intermediate table with all date fields. Then I created a view that used the values stored on that table to produce a valid date for the import.

For example if the column of the intermediate field held 'date1' the view calculated date as ('date1' - 'original creation date') + 'current date'.

Once the import was complete, I directly updated OVSD Database to set the original registration date and all other dates by copying the values of the intermediate table.

But this procedure was meant to run once. If it was to run on regular basis I would use a combination of what I did with what Ruth suggests.

I would create a view that will set dates as timespans from the original registration date. I will add current date to this timespans in order to set the dates correctly. Then I would hold the original registration;created field in a custom field.
menes fhtagn
CorusIJmuiden
Contributor.

Ruth, George,

Unfortunately this doesn't really solve the issue of logging foreign calls in servicedesk. It is a pity for such an application, there is no standard way of setting this up.
Updating the database directly is tempting indeed George. But I'm afraid if I do that there company looses future tech support, if they find out :-)
Updating using the import tool gets me nowhere (see the errors above).

The option of creating a customfield for the deadline looks promising.
Ruth, could you elaborate more on that?

Anyway, thanks for replying!

Martijn
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi there,

Add a custom date field for the creation date by Tools>System>Data>Custom Fields>Service Call and add a new field of type date/time and ensure you set the display settings for this to match those that will be used by the remote system. Do another for Target Date to be used instead of Deadline.

Then map this new creation date field to the remote system's date.

For calls NOT originating from remote system have a rule which populates Target date from the OOTB deadline. For the calls originatng remotely, use Target date instead.

Hope this helps, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
CorusIJmuiden
Contributor.

Ruth,

This indeed seems the most viable option at the moment. I have created the customdates as you said.

Interesting is your suggestion to copy from the system fields to the customfields, when they do not contain a value. Seems a good idea indeed, a rule could be made to do that.

Thanks for thinking along with me!

Martijn