Import to Service Desk

I need import to service desk this table

Searchcode HardDisk
PC1 c: 130MB
PC1 e: 140GB
PC1 d: 150MB
PC2 \root 300MB
PC2 etc...

My problem is i need import the column HardDisk in one field of the configuration item. But is not possible because service desk always import the last record i need all records.
Thank you
10 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Re: Import to Service Desk

Hi Titus,
Do you think you will be able to manage such granularity of CMDB, at physical or logical partition level of a computer HDD?! In this case you should create a configuration item for each partition you mentioned above. Finally, you will relate PC1 c, PC1 e and PC1 d with PC1, a different CI using parent/child relations, for example.
I suggest you to keep information about your PC configuration in a single text field (could be CI Description or Baseline #0)instead the creation of many different low level CIs, very hard to manage! If you have an inventory/discovery support application (ZenWorks, SMS, etc) you will have all dynamic information about your current hardware configuration in a different database, and all what you will have to do is to create a link to view those different configuration baselines associated to your PCs.
Hope this helps you a little.
Regards,
Dan
TITUS_1
Occasional Contributor

Your solution is not applicable because my client need information in one field. Not Ci relateds. Only one CI with all information
Dan Ioan
Frequent Visitor

Hi Titus,
One field means one value! Except the case when that field is a custom text field (named for example "HDD Size"-text 255 char.) where you can put all mentioned value for the same PC.(PC1, PC2, etc). Create this field using custom fields definition for Configuration Item in your Admin console and import data using a table with only two fields:
1. Search Code - for related PC(as unique key)
2. HDD size - for related text that describes your physical/logical HDD configuration.
Is this reasonable?
Best regards,
Dan
TITUS_1
Occasional Contributor

is not possible because the servers have 8 or 9 hard disk. The Pc only have 1 or two.
Thank you
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Titus,

The advisability of this dubious enterprise aside, what is not working for you ? Is your xml file correct? If not, it would help to see your .ini file. Otherwise, it would help to see your import mapping and the import error log.

-Josh
TITUS_1
Occasional Contributor

My xml is

PC (CLASS)
SC pc1
HD 140GB
PC (CLASS)
SC pc1
HD 150GB

My problem is pc1 have 2 hard disk i need this xml

SC pc1
HD 140GB 150GB
Anda Apine
Solution

Hello, Titus,

If I understood correctly what you want:
Field = value
Search code="PC1"
HDD ="c: 130MB,e: 140GB,d: 150MB"

If it is correct you can do this way.
1. create custom field temp_hdd - hidden from users.
2. set import to this field temp_hdd
3. create DB rule that changes HDD field every time when temp_hdd is changed.
set HDD= HDD+", "+temp_hdd - concatenate it.

so
during import:
SC temp_hdd HDD
PC1 c: 130MB c: 130MB
PC1 e: 140GB c: 130MB, e: 140GB
PC1 d: 150MB c: 130MB, e: 140GB, d: 150MB

I hope it helps,

Anda

TITUS_1
Occasional Contributor

Ok
Thats good solution
Thank you
TITUS_1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for all
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Given you want values from 2 records concatenated together, you might need to get the concatenation happening before importing to Service Desk. We had a similar need and ended up doing a VB script that wrote out the xml in the format that an import could work. We run this script instead of an sd_export then we run sd_import. Dirty but effective.

Cheers
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event