Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import mapping - Person to Department relationship.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Anthony Livings
Collector

Import mapping - Person to Department relationship.

We're re-designing AD and setting up a new SD 4.5 server.

At the minute we have a VBScript that does an LDAP extract of all user details to an XML file. OU is mapped to Organisation in SD. This all works fine (when we have unique named OU's!).

We are going to manually populate SD with Organisation, Business Unit & Department.

AD user records will be updated from our HR system to populate the AD Location field with the users Department.

We want to import users to SD mapping the AD Location field to the SD Business Unit field.
The XML file already has the AD Location field exported to it.

What do I need to do in the Data Exchange import mapping file to map Location to Business Unit? There is no 'Business Unit' field in the existing Data Exchange Import Mapping file and I can't seem to add additional SD fields to this - only modify existing fields.

Do I need to add it into another Template or Form somewhere else first?

Cheers,

Anthony.
6 REPLIES
Anthony Livings
Collector

Re: Import mapping - Person to Department relationship.

Correction to above...!

Tree view of SD shows:
- Internal Organisation.
- Organisation
- Business Unit
- Department

I want to map the AD field Location to the SD field Department.

Organisation appears in the Users import mapping screen but Department doesn't.

How do I get Department into the import mapping screen?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

If you want more fields on a record type you will need to add them using tools>system>data>cutom fields

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Anthony,

If you want more fields on a record type you will need to add them using tools>system>data>custom fields

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hi Anthony,

I am a bit confused. I think you mean that SD has Organisation categories

- Internal Organisation.
- Organisation
- Business Unit
- Department

But a person simply simply should belong to a single Org Unit, but if that Org Unit is a Departmentm, then it should have a Business Unit as its Parent Organisation, which has Organisation as it's parent etc. (We actually have Categories "Level1 OU", "Level2 OU" etc. So I don't think you need extra fields?

Does that make sense
Anthony Livings
Collector

Hi David,

Yip - you are correct, once I looked at it again I realised the structure within SD was that everything is an 'Organisation' with different categories available for the parent and child Organisations.

At the moment we have a VBScript that extracts the last OU from the AD path and imports that as the Organisation. There is no parent child relationship and no categories assigned.

I will look at amending the script to try and extract the different levels of OU into the different categories as you seem to do, however the AD guys are suggesting that the new AD structure will not have unique bottom level OU's.

e.g.
-Organisation1
-Site1
-DeptA
-DeptB

-Site2
-DeptA
-DeptB

The other option they are mulling over is two top level OU's with all users split between them for some reason...

-Organisation1
-Users

-Organisation2
-Users

With non unique bottom level OU's we'll end up with non unique Organisations within SD which will be a problem.

They have suggested that they can populate the Location field within AD with a unique code representing the Organisation, Business Unit, Dept., and Location of the user which can then be mapped to unique 'Organisations' with SD.

I guess this is a simple 1:1 mapping of the AD field to the unique SD Organisation. Without being able to extract the structure of the Organisations from AD we'll have to manually enter these in SD first before doing any user import.

Thanks for your input....
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Hmm, Not sure I can advise on that.

We extract from HR into an Identity Management System and OVSD Person and Org data is grabbed from there. The AD structure for users is mostly flat. I guess where ever possible you make OVSD a model of the real world. But it appears you have two real worlds to choose from - the AD Structure and the HR Org structure (we do the latter - if we want to know about AD you use AD Users and Computers not OVSD Org structure). I would have said OVSD Org structure is about modelling the Company Org structure to better support services delivered to them - AD structure is about how you deliver them???

It trying to resolve this remember that you could model the AD structure as CIs and relate users/orgs if this visibilty required at Service Desk or perhaps add custom fields to Org Units for AD info.

Good luck.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event