The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Users Error ???

Highlighted
Alexey Makarov
Acclaimed Contributor

Import Users Error ???

Hi!
Data Exchange Import duplicate users if user is Blocked. SourceID is UniKey. How it to avoid? (4.5 SP16)
12 REPLIES
Oguz Kutlu Asi
Honored Contributor

Re: Import Users Error ???

Hi,

If same key exists while doing data exchange, existing record will be updated. If not, a new record will be created.

I always create search codes for users using a formula like first character of the name + last name (amakarov) and use it for unique key. That way you will not have duplicate users.
What's right is right, whether or not God exists
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

G'Day Alexey,

I assume that you are putting in something that is unique into the sourceID. We do this also and it is fine - you don't have to do it on the search code.

Do other person records 'update' as expected? If so then there must be something special about blocked persons. Do they definitely have the unique value in the sourceid?

Cheers
Alexey Makarov
Acclaimed Contributor

Cheers, thanks.

Both fields are unique. I tried to use both one and another as a unique index at updating, but the same result.(SearchCode=Right(Name,5)&SourceID). The blocked users are created again. The information in not blocked records is corrected. I cannot overcome this situation
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Wow, very curious.

Are you sure there are no rules on blocked persons that might change the sourceid? Is the data exchange account not able to see the blocked items?? Can you try with a different account (System Administrator) and see if there is any difference.

Does the source data set the blocked flag? (We don't block our person records but put them into terminated status when the leave.)

Let me know how you get on and I could try and test it?

Cheers

Oscar Willems
Regular Collector

Hello Everyone,

We've just updated to SP17 and we're experiencing the same problem as mentioned above.
The daily import of persons is working as expected. But persons whom are blocked don't seem to be recognized and are inserted again.

Can anybody tell me what has happened with ths problem. Alexey, have you reported this to HP or did you manage to fix this?

Thanks! Anoek
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Does your data exchange drive the blocking - ie is it an data exchange update that blocks the person? And is only doing it to persons that have a change to be made?

We are SP15 so maybe I could test this?

Cheers
Oscar Willems
Regular Collector

Thanks for your reaction David.
Weâ re not importing the â blockedâ attribute.
Everyday we do an import in HPOVSD from another database with employees.
When importing, it should be checked whether that person already exists (source id). If yes, are there any changed attributes? If no, insert that person in the database.
Via value mapping the status of the employees is copied to the status of the persons in HPOVSD. A database rule will block the person with the status â inactiveâ .

But the problem starts with the fact that a blocked person doesnâ t seem to be recognized by the import mechanism.
This could easily be checked by blocking a person and import that same person (with the same source id when that is defined as the primary key). Our result is that the person is inserted and therefore we end up with identical twins!

Anoek
Oscar Willems
Regular Collector

sorry about the above message, I've typed it in MSWord and didn't think about the changes that would occur with some characters!Anoek
Gerry Allardice
Honored Contributor

I think you will find this is a known error introduced in SP16 and resolved in SP18
Oscar Willems
Regular Collector

Thanks, that is good to know although I wished that it would be solved in a quicker way!
Do you know what the docid is of this Known Error?
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Here is a dirty workaround.

If your data exchange is nightly, you could use a SQL query to update all blocked persons to unblocked and then do the data exchange and then another sql query to turned all status=inactive persons back to blocked.

As I said - dirty but nevertheless possibly better than duplicates.

Cheers
Oscar Willems
Regular Collector

Thanks for your suggestions, indeed an 'dirty' way to deal with this problem, but it's a way!
We're thinking about workarounds now and this is indeed a possibility.
Thanks!!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event