SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Badrinath H K
Collector

Import Mapping for Person Telephone Contacts

Hi,

I am running OVSD 4.5

I have a requirement to import persons data into Service Desk from an External Source. I am able to import all attributes of the person except for the Telephone Contacts.

I have 3 Contact attributes that needs to be imported: Official Number, Mobile Number and Residence No; but i am not able to get my import mapping right and I am not sure where i am going wrong.

Can anyone help with how to configure the Import Mapping for the same.

I am attaching screenshot of XML file for your reference.
6 REPLIES
Badrinath H K
Collector

Re: Import Mapping for Person Telephone Contacts

Hi,

I am attaching the screenshot of the import mapping I tried as the earlier attached one is not complete.

Cheers!!
Badri
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hi,

I notice from the attachment that you have a field called EMPLOYEE_NUMBER, and that it is a numeric field. Therefore it is not the SearchCode of the Person record because SearchCodes cannot begin with a numeric character, (not in sd 4.5 SP17 anyway).

Because itâ s the employee number, I presume it is unique. Otherwise you could have two or more people with the same telephone number. This is of course may be what you want, in the case of people sharing a desk phone?

Anyway, what you must ensure when creating the telephone import mapping is when you create then Import Mapping for the Telephone entity. When you map the Person field to EMPLOYEE_NUMBER, (in the Telephone entity), be sure you click the "A reference to item" drop down list and choose the correct field from the list. Failure to do this will generate an error when you try to import the data.

What it means is that the EMPLOYEE_NUMBER field you are importing is to be used by the system to create a link to the person record. If you don't use "A reference to item" the system will attempt to insert the actual value of the EMPLOYEE_NUMBER field and it can't do that because the field in the database is of the wrong data type.

Regards
Peter
Badrinath H K
Collector

Dear Peter,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Firstly, We had a requirement for using Employee Number as Search Code but SD4.5 does not support all numbers in Search Code and therefore we have set a default Search Code value for all employee records and we are using the custom field called "Employee Number" as the Unique Field.

I had done exactly like what you have suggested ***"What it means is that the EMPLOYEE_NUMBER field you are importing is to be used by the system to create a link to the person record. If you don't use "A reference to item" the system will attempt to insert the actual value of the EMPLOYEE_NUMBER field and it can't do that because the field in the database is of the wrong data type"*** but it does not seem to work and am not sure why.

I am wanting to import the telephone numbers against each employee (Office, Mobile and Residence) for every employee record that is imported but I am failing to do so. I am not clear about how import all the 3 telephones for a person which proper mapping of telehone type and numbers against the same.

I hope someone can help.

Regards,
Badri
Badrinath H K
Collector

Found the Solution
Anju
Regular Collector

Badrinath
when trying to import the data i get the following error:

instance of (importing\item mapping name) orginfo cannot be processed because not all primary key values have been provided.
I am trying to import the searchcode and name 1 fields from organization. i am attaching the source excel file, xml file(in which data has been extracted) and the ini file. could you tell me what do i need to change. the excel file does not have any id column but the xml file shows the id and values set to 1, 2, 3 guess the autonumber from excel itself.

awaiting your feedback
thank you
LexTNS
Regular Collector

Hi Anju,
The XML file has id numbers generated during the export. Did you define searchcode as key for the import? See attachment.
Hope this helps, Lex.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event