Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications to changing Computer Name of Application Server (OVSD 4.5 SP20)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
PeterGray
Occasional Contributor

Implications to changing Computer Name of Application Server (OVSD 4.5 SP20)

Hi,

A request has been made to change the computer name of the OVSD application servers as they are being physically moved. I'm looking to know what the possible implications of this would have on:
a. Impact on Service Desk as a Stand Alone application
b. Impact on Integrated applications such as OVO, NNM, Alerting system

Re. the Service Desk if the computer name was changed how does this affect the client? Does the clientuse the IP Address or the DNS Name & if changed how is this configured on the server.

For anyone who has done this before is it recommended to do a fresh install on a new box or would a Ghost Image from the old server be sufficient.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice on this I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks,

Peter
2 REPLIES
David Borojevic
Frequent Visitor

Re: Implications to changing Computer Name of Application Server (OVSD 4.5 SP20)

I would have thought that a DNS Alias with the old name would suffice but I haven't tested it. Certainly the client uses the name when creating a profile for the user so I am sure it would do a simply DNS query?

You could test it easily by creating a test Alias on the current name and then seeing if you can create a client account profile that works using the alias?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Implications to changing Computer Name of Application Server (OVSD 4.5 SP20)

Hi Peter,

The client updates its server.dat file at each log on. However it will try and conenct to the name of the server it last logged onto. If you change the server name all together have a look at keeping the old server name as a DNS alias for a period of time to allow the client to connect and download the new details of the app servers.

With regards the integrations you will need to look at any .ini style files and see is the server name hard coded in them, if there is an fqdn hard coded of if the IP address is hard coded. It would be best to change these to the correct new name of the server at the same time - however again to buy some time have a look at usinmg the old server name as a DNS alias to keep things working during the change.

Check the Knova integration smart actions - they reference the server name. There are modified Knova .jsp's that may also reference the server name.

Check the web.xml for Service Pages. I think from memory that this has a record of the server name as you can (in theory) install service pages on one server but have it access another app server on another box.

Some food for thought.

Best thing is to get as much as you can into a test lab - change the app server name and see what works and what does not.

Best of Luck.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event