ITSM008809 : Vote for Ability to ACES Import/Export Generic Relations/Groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

ITSM008809 : Vote for Ability to ACES Import/Export Generic Relations/Groups

Hello,

Generic Relations/Groups is a major feature added on SP17 and it is very helpful. Unfortunately HP do half of the work. Didn't give us the ability to Import/Export neither with Data Exchange nor with ACES. Since generating this relations can be very tedious and time consuming, at least we should have the ability to ACES import/export Generic Relations/Groups between our SD environments (development/test/production etc).

Vote for it on http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM008809
menes fhtagn
11 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: ITSM008809 : Vote for Ability to ACES Import/Export Generic Relations/Groups

Hi George,

it gets my vote. I agree this should be available for Aces to export/import.

After SP 20 for OVSD 4.5 hp have advised that only bug fixes will be provided in any future SP's. I think is it unlikley that this is going to be addressed in 4.5. However they may be a chance to see this with 5.1
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: ITSM008809 : Vote for Ability to ACES Import/Export Generic Relations/Groups

George,

This gets my vote, too, although I think it a shame that the users even have to ask for this. IMHO, the failure to include this from the beginning verges on downright negligence.

-Josh
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

Done.

But i think this wish will be granted on 5.x flavors....

-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sooner or later all we are going to upgrade to 5.x. So, when 5.2 is ready wish that this feature waits us!
menes fhtagn
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes George...Understood....i am keeping my fingers crossed.
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi George,

5.2 won't be developed. HP are stopping at 5.1. The next product release after that will be Service Manager 7.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Great!

That means that we're stuck with 4.5 !!!

When SP18 went out HP mentioned that you won't be able to upgrade to 5.1 but we naturally assumed that would be a 5.2!

Great! HP ruined us
menes fhtagn
Steven De Smet
Honored Contributor.

I voted it, I hope it will be in SP20. (the next 2 weeks will be exciting)
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

There is also a related ER for ability to import/export Generic Relations/Groups through data exchange.

http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM008825

If someone wonders why this is a good thing to have, imagine the following scenario:

> Imagine the following scenario

You create a generic relation between Service and Service Call Classification
In order to do that, you go to generic relations type, select as From Item
<> and as To Item <>
Then you go to "Add" for Adding each item. This can be very very very tedious.

On the other hand why should we have to go with this MANUAL and TIME CONSUMING
procedure to define Relations for this type?

There is already a classification list and a service list on the service desk.
Creating an excel file that will list each service and each service call
classification is very trivial. Do that with data exchange and you can finish
this job within minutes.

Now, try to add one time each time for 50 services and 140 classifications.
There is a huge difference!!!
menes fhtagn
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

All,

The other problem is that the OID for the generic relation is different in each instance, so a UI rule that references a generic relation will always have to be updated manually after using ACES to move it, because it never finds the generic relation in the new database.

-Josh
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, this is correct, however it's easier to convert some ui rules than to recreate a load of relation/relation groups.
menes fhtagn