Did you mean: 

ITIL Change Mgmt Process implementation using HP Openview

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Steven Pisano
Occasional Contributor

ITIL Change Mgmt Process implementation using HP Openview

We are in the process of reviewing our change management philosophy, and are looking at implementing the ITIL Change Mgmt process. What I am wondering, is does anyone have any process flows around how they use HP Openview Service Desk to accomodate this? Many of us come from Change Mgmt backrounds, but can't seem to see how HPOV can completely get us to where we want to be. Any docs or reference items would be greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ITIL Change Mgmt Process implementation using HP Openview

Steven,

I think a large number of organizations have implemented Change Mgmt. à l'ITIL using OVSD. What are the difficulties you are encountering in doing this?

RfCs are Change Tickets (although they may also be implemented as Service Calls). The RfC is assigned to Change Management workgroup, which checks it for formal correctness and completeness, and which may update classification and/or category. The ticket is then sent to the CAB in one of two ways:

- it may use the built-in approval function, the approval group being the CAB members. However, some users find this function too inflexible and difficult to use, especially in case of unexpected results, or in case of approvals done in a certain order. In that case;

- CAB approval may be done via work orders attached to the Change ticket.

Once approved, the Change is built, tested, implemented and reviewed. Each of these activities corresponds to one or more work orders attached to the Change ticket.

When the last work order is completed, the change is reviewed again by change mgmt and closed.

In order to implement standard changes, it is easiest to create templates which not only prefill most fields, but also predefine the workflow with the work orders.

That's it in a nutshell.

Good luck,
-Josh
Steven Pisano
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response. What you gave me is very helpful. What I am looking for is the nuts and bolts of using Openview for Change. Like a detailed process flow or even a swimlane for it. Also Something that shows what fields are used in Openview, custom fields/codes and status's.

A couple of the things we are looking to address are:
-when work orders are required?
-How do you handle a request that has 1 work order, but in the end, become multiple changes
-How to handle multiple CI's related to 1 change.

That is only a small amount.

I really want to see how other companies do it?
-Screen shots
-Documents
-Screenshots of other processes that relate to change.

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Steven,

The OVSD documentation and on-line help is really quite reasonable when it comes to the nuts and bolts. Here is some more info, though.

swimlane for it. Also Something that shows what fields are used in Openview, custom fields/codes and status's.

>>-when work orders are required?
I think work orders are always required. Once you decide to do the change, use the work orders to get your resources to do the required work. Do not assigne the change itself to them.

>>-How do you handle a request that has 1 work order, but in the end, become multiple changes
Part of the role of the change manager is to sort this out at the beginning, so if the RfC triggers multiple changes, you decide that right away. Another way to handle this is to limit the templates available for RfCs, so the users are required to select a change that corresponds to the appropriate granularity for the tool. It largely depends on when you start change control - is it from the moment that someone says "It would be a good idea to change this", or when someone says "I have built this change and now want to put it in production. May I?"

>>-How to handle multiple CI's related to 1 change.
That is not an easy one. Clearly, the philosophy of OVSD is to set the granularity of a single change to a single CI. If you need to change multiple CIs in a single "change", you would do this via a Project, which groups together the various changes. I suppose you can work that way; I find it cumbersome. The alternative is to document the list of CIs to change in a single Work Order, but this workaround has its own set of complexities.

This is a really big topic, and you might find it useful to get some knowledge transfer from a consultant, of whom many are present here on this forum (such as myself).

-Josh
Steven Pisano
Occasional Contributor

Josh, Thank you for all your info.

Is there anyone else that can provide any insight (screenshots, documentation) for my issue.

Thank You in advance
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

HP OVSD is "ITIL" compliant is so far as it is designed to support the main Service Support activities. Further a number of default fields support some of the basic fields that you would expect. ITIL provides details of the change management process and the main activities that you would expect.

Generally a change will comprise of an approval section, a section detailing the change, the risk and impact analysis and an approval section. Planned start and finish times etc. are also important.

-when work orders are required?
Workorders should be used to break out the work required to implement the change. This could be 1 work order for a DNS change or 2 workorders for a DNS change and a patch install that are needed to complete the overall change.
You can decide if you want 1 workorder for each workgroup assignment or for each piece of work required (which may mean multiple workorders for the same group.

Approvals can be done via the inbuilt function or via workorders which i common.

How to handle multiple CI's related to 1 change
One change per CI is as the book says it should be done but as we generally need a lot of information to log a change this can be quite time consuming. Relating multiple CI's to workorders can help but as Josh has said it does pose some other issues.

Don't look to the tool or the framework to provide you with a process that suits your organisation. Look to develop a process that suits your business and use the tool to support it. ITIL will guide you by providing the framework.

To begin, do you know what you current process is and what your business requires from change management?
FXCISD
Collector

Hi Steven,

Refer to this attachment. Its a very good source of ITIL (change Mgmt) integration with the HP OV tool.

Just to add, HP OVSD is based on the ITIL and best practices of HP ITSM Reference Model.

You can get in touch with HP C&I division incase you want a consulting approach for implementing Change Mgmt.

Regards
FXCISD
Collector

Hi Steven,

Refer to this attachment. Its a very good source of ITIL (change Mgmt) integration with the HP OV tool.

Just to add, HP OVSD is based on the ITIL and best practices of HP ITSM Reference Model.

You can get in touch with HP C&I division incase you want a consulting approach for implementing Change Mgmt.

Regards
Carol Hibbard
Honored Contributor

There are multiple best practice models for implementing Change Mgmt with OV SD. These offerings included documented processes and matching SD configured databases. In both cases, the process materials are intellectual property that are available for a fee. You would have to contact these sources to get more details. Two examples are:

www.alignability.com

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/services/itsm/info/5982-4988EN.pdf
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event