The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use different forms to view different types of CIs?

Highlighted
Fady Bassyouni
Regular Collector

How to use different forms to view different types of CIs?

Hi All,

I have imported a number of CIs into my SD system, they belong to different categories of CIs ex.:"Servers, Routers, PCs, UPS...etc."
Each type of CI was imported using a different form customized with its own custom fields, ex:"Battery lifetime" field for UPS CI
"Number of interfaces" for routers and switches CIs and so on.

Now when I try opening those CIs only one default form is used to view all types which offcourse doesn't necessarily show all the custom fields of the other types!
Is there a way to associate a specific form to view each CI category?

awaiting your suggestions.
4 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Re: How to use different forms to view different types of CIs?

Fady,

If you have a version allowing you to use Dynamic Forms (4.5 SP18 or higher), you need to do 4 things:

1) Create as many different forms as your require, each one must be a sub-form.

2) Create a "master" CI form that contains an insertion marker.

3) Create a generic relation between CI category and Form, and relate each and every category of CI to a subform.

4) Create a UI rule triggered when the category changes that has insert subform as the action.

If you have a lot of categories, you will probably notice a performance hit in displaying the dynamic form.

If you do not have a version allowing this, I suggest you organize your attributes on pages so that you are less bothered by irrelevant fields.

Otherwise, it might be possible to relate forms to specific roles, and give default forms to the pertinent roles, but this will probably be hard to manage.

Finally, you can create different main forms and train your users to select the form to use when opening a CI, but the users probably will not be happy with this solution.

-Josh
Fady Bassyouni
Regular Collector

Dear Josiah,

I am using SD5.0.
I created as many forms as i need but i don't know what you mean by a sub-form.
If you can explain more what's the "insertion marker" and how to Create a generic relation between CI category and Form.

Thanks,
Robert S. Falko
Honored Contributor

Hello Fady,

Sub forms were introduced in ver. 4.5 by one of the later service packs. I do not know if the functionality was carried over into 5.0. Sorry.

-Josh
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

dynamic forms are not available in V5 as it includes functionality to SP 17. Dynamic forms were introducd in SP 18.

Best option available is to set up specific tabs and place the relevant data in each tab.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event