The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to troubleshoot outgoing mail in Help Desk 5.10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Anders Nilsson
Collector

How to troubleshoot outgoing mail in Help Desk 5.10

Hi,

I want to send email whenever ticket is assigned to particular person or state is changed.
I have configured SMTP on HelpDesk and I can send test messages (I see them on my mail server). But I don't see any emails when I create and assign any ticket to particular person.
Here is my steps:
- I have entered email address for user I test in users contact information;
- I have enabled notification in that user's notification settings (Tools -> Options -> Notification)
- create a ticket and assign to that person and expect to receive email.

Please, give me any clue if I miss anything or tell me some ways for troubleshooting. I'm almost 4hour experienced with HelpDesk :)
22 REPLIES
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Re: How to troubleshoot outgoing mail in Help Desk 5.10

First, make sure that the email address is properly set in the person record.

After the Service Call is assigned and saved, check in the logserver.txt, see if the email is being sent, if it was sent to the correct email address or if there is any error.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Anders Nilsson
Collector

I couldn't find filename logserver.txt
I have found Server.txt file but that one looks like OVO agent's file. At least records for today are about some stoped and started OVO processes.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

That's because in SD5.10 you have a set of several log files instead of the good ol' logserver.txt from SD4.5.

Aside from entering e-mail addresses, have you done everything that's in the Admin Guide for configuring E-mail in Service Desk? If not, then you need to do that.

If you have, then run ovsdsupporttool.bat and in the .zip file it generates, look for system#.#.XX_xx files. Go through those files and find any SMTP-related entries.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Mika Hokkanien
Honored Contributor

I'll check your suggestoin soon.
Looks like I did everything what is needed for outgoing mail (SMTP part). I have no ability to test incomming mail so far.
I assume that I'm done with that part, since I can send test email from HelpDesk menu.
Also, I wrote email address in contacts email field (Organization tab) and, as already mentions, selected checkboxes that I want to be informed about any changes on my tickets/calls.
The way I test SMTP email is:
I create a service call and assign it to myself, enter description and save it. Then, just in case, I change status from registered to "In progress" and save it again. During this period, I expect to receive email on my email server.
Anders Nilsson
Collector

Sorry, colleague was logged in and didn't recognize I work with his account.

I've tried check traffic using WireShark - and no success (I do capture traffic when I make "Send test message")
In log file I have found interesting records:

TO:
, expected=250, response={[553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
]}.
Jan 4, 2010 9:47:53 PM;26;13;com.hp.ov.obs;WARNING;Could not send e-mail. Mail server at servername02 gives the following error: {[553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
]}

On server servername02 is running mail server (linux).
On HelpDesk server servername01 is SMTP installed and configured (as windows component). I have included servername02 as trusted host in SMTP configuration.

Any clues?
Anders Nilsson
Collector

Strange to me, that HelpDesk cuts my fully qualified domain name, which I configure on email settings.
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Hmm, well...

This particular error is not SD related:
"that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthostshad"

It seems that the emails are coming out of SD and reaching your mail server, it is then when your mail server process them that they are bouncing back...

Without knowing your environment configuration, I can say based on the error that there might be something missing from the DNS configuration point of view or maybe your MX record is pointing to an invalid cname?

Try tracing the email within your mail server... don;t ask me how though :-)

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Could be a combination of DNS resolution and inbox configuration.

Does hduser exist as a mailbox in servername02?
Does servername02 resolve from the SD management server?

Either way, the errors you are seeing come from your SMTP platform. Not from Service Desk.

Points (and pints) for the guidance are welcome!

The Pike
The Pike
Honored Contributor

I just had to add this attachment.
Anders Nilsson
Collector

Yeah,

Now I see that my issue might be something very simple. But the simplier issue, the harder to find :)

SMTP service in HelpDesk knows about server02. Also, hduser mailbox is configured on mail server02. I can send test messages there from HelpDesk email configuration window "Send test message".

Tried to sniff traffic using WireShark - these SMTP packets doesn't even come to interface.
I will doublecheck DNS issues - maybe I missed something.
Initialy I also suspected that server02 wasn't in trusted domain list, since by default SMTP trusted site list is empty.
Also, there is a way to enable logging on SMTP service (on Windows OS). I expect to see something over there.

Guys, of course will be points, but since I have no idea about solution, I don't know how many point should I contribute :)
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Consider this:

4-7 points: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!

More about the point reward mechanism here:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

The Pike
Anders Nilsson
Collector

Guys
Looks like I as confusing you telling that system*.* logs shows that mail is sent. Seems like these records are from test email, which I send using "Send test email" button.
Log records on such message contains several lines where one of these shows email address without full fqdn, while rest of lines has those. But, since I receive test mail, I assume that this is only the format it sends.

I need confirmation, that I have done all I need in HelpDesk configuration. I mean, do I need to configure some rules or triggers, which initiates emails? So far, only trigger I have enabled is Tools -> Options -> Notification checkboxes enabled.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

When you use the test mail button you are sending e-mail directly from the box where you are using the client console, not the server box where the SD application server resides. Are you using the SD client console on the server box or your PC?

Network traffic must be allowed between the server box and the mail server.

Hope this helps.

The Pike
Anders Nilsson
Collector

I do tests from server (remote desktop connection to a server).
So, firewall issues should be eliminated, since test mail and SD's mail uses same port 25.

Another question: manuals has mentioned that MIME compatable client should be installed on server. I don't have it, since assume, that client is needed for receiving messages. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The Pike
Honored Contributor

A MIME compatible client means Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc.

The Pike
Anders Nilsson
Collector

But do I need that client to be installed for outgoing email messages?
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Did you enabled these notifications in all SD clients? Tools -> Options -> Notification check boxes enabled.

I mean, if you login to your SD console and enable the above, only YOU will get the mails when items are assigned to YOU.

For other users to receive emails when items are assigned to THEM, they need to login with their respective users to SD console and enable Tools -> Options -> Notification checkboxes.

Maybe all is properly set, but users don't have this enabled.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
The Pike
Honored Contributor

You do not need a mail client for the messages to leave Service Desk. You need a mail client to receive them.

Do not forget to assign points to each contribution.

The Pike
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Indeed, as The Pike said, you do not need to install any mail client application in your SD server, SD has its own SMTP server that will push the emails out...

They will be sent to the Mail server you specify in the SD Email settings, then your Mail server will send them to the appropriate destination.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
Anders Nilsson
Collector

Guys, I made e-mails to be sent, but still confused.

1. I created database rule to send email whenever service call is created. Does it means that my issue since very beginning was because I had no database or UI rule?

2. Do I understand correct, that I need MIME client (like Thunderbird) on each workstation I use Service Desk client?
Err_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

To answer your questions...

1. I created database rule to send email whenever service call is created. Does it means that my issue since very beginning was because I had no database or UI rule?
>>>
Not necessarily, but the best way to control this feature is to have custom DB/UI rules created, that way you con control when and to whom the emails will be sent.
Again, this out of the box notifications you selected at the beginning should work, but EVERY user must enable them in their own SD console.

2. Do I understand correct, that I need MIME client (like Thunderbird) on each workstation I use Service Desk client?
>>>
Yes and No, after the email is sent by SD, it goes through your email server, then to the respective inbox, and hence to their mail client (i.e. Outlook, Thunderbird, etc).

Users that will receive this notification email from SD need this to read it. SD console is not a mail client, so users can not read their email using SD.
They will read their email along with any other email they normally receive in their own mail client app.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
Anders Nilsson
Collector

Hi guys,
I made it working when created database rule. So, either I miss something or in order to send email you need to create db or ui rule (including enable notifications on user's notification settings through menu).
Thanks for your suggestions and sharing info. It pointed me out onto right solution.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event