Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track number of installs for a software CI question.

Highlighted
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

How to track number of installs for a software CI question.

Hi and happy new year to all....

Service Desk 4.5 SP17.

We are trying to setup software as CI's to track which users have licences and the number of licences in use etc.

A problem arises because we have to keep licences separate for different departments, even though they are the same software.

For example:

Dept1 has a CI for MS Office with 10 licences.

Dept2 has a CI for MS Office with 15 licences.

The Max Installations field on the CI form holds the number of licences for each separate CI. The systems allows you to relate users to the CI, until that number is reached.

The problem is I need to be able to report how many licences in total we have for MS Office and how many are unassigned.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks
12 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: How to track number of installs for a software CI question.

Hi Peter,

the main challenage I have found with OVSD and licenses is in gathering the license information and keeping the license information up to date. Also on reporting such situations as you describe. Will you be doing this manually or is there a 3rd party tool gathering the information?

Do you have a 3rd party reporting tool hooked up into OVSD? If so you can look at using only one CI for each item e.g. MS office. Have each user record record the department that the user, assign users to the one CI for the application and then use the tool to report the relationship between the user department and CI. This is possible but not sure if you have the means to report the information back out of OVSD.
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Mark,

Ideally the reporting I have described would be in a View but, I don't think it can be discovered via a view and some SQL may be needed.

We do not have any external reporting tool.

I cannot use one CI for each piece of software. There are other constraints, in addition to the Department one I described. I have a code list called Product Name, which will at least ensure the same name is used for each instance, such as "MS Office XP" etc.

So I need to be able to count all licences for each of these items and report how many are free.

Any help apreciated.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

I see, I don't think this one will be easy. If I was the configuration manager I would now be having a conversation along the lines of

"You want more that one CI for the same thing to track licenses?... but that affects the rules i have for making CI's and reporting for me now gets difficult as I have more that one record for the same thing etc ...."

I had to put the brakes on a similar exercise before as the whole solution was not thought through. Management said track licenses in OVSD. When I gave a reprot on what could be done and what needed developement it was canned due to no budget for the development time.

I am not suggestion that youhave not thought this through in any way but just refering to my experience. The other big drawback at the time was not being able to get the license details automatically. Manually would never have worked effectivley.
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Mark,

Thanks for your input, always valued and welcome.

What happened was I proposed a solution to the problem as it was described. Then they realised that the problem was more complex than they thought and it was extended....

You know how it goes, "scope creep" is a term I've heard used.

If it can't be done then it can't be done. If it has to be done manually then so be it.
Jay Mistry
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mark, Peter

Happy New Year to you both.

recently we had a similar requirement and like Mark I put together a document which outlined how difficult it was to manage licences in OVSD, after some thought they canned the idea and opted to buy an inventory tool called Express Metrix. Ive not had much dealings with it since the install but ive heard it can tell you what software is installed on what PC's, hence you can track your licences against usage.

Maybe you could put this option forward to senior management.

Also are you not in the process of testing and preparing for the move to SM7? maybe there is a better way to manage licences using SM7. just a thought.

Jay
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Jay,

You're right in that we are in preperation to move to "something", from SD 4.5

I'd like to think that it still hasn't been decided what we move to yet but.... we'll see.

Anyway, that hasn't stopped the requests for enhancements and new functionality at all.

What fun....
Eng.NM

hello
and happy new year :)

I think in your case u need to make a DB query to count your CIs, may be this is the only way in case you dont have a reporting tool.

thank you
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

First I would agree with a response above and say HPSD is not a license control tool and it would be better to use something different if you can.

Secondly that if you do have to use HPSD, then a reporting tool would be worth getting. In my opinion, it can cost more to try and work around the lack of such a tool than it would have cost to get something like Crystal in the first place.

Having said that, there is another issue with licenses - some sofware is just licensd by how many installed and some (e.g. HPSD) on how it is used. You will different approaches for each.

For the first, if you have some discovery tool such as Centennial or Landesk that is the best way. Without that it has to be manual. Either way, once captured in HPSD, a reporting tool would make life so much simpler.

So my advice is try and get a reporting tool.

Hope something here helps, Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the input guys n girls.
Mihai Tita
Occasional Visitor

Hi Peter,

You need to know how many licenses do you have / own for every software product / CI software. This number will be put in Max. installation field on the software CI form.
The system allows to relate CI's, for instance hw - sw, with parent - child relations, until the number from Max. installation field is reached.
The system allows to relate users to the hw CI's. And every user is related to a department (organization).

In that condition you have the following relations: sw installed - hw - users - organization (department).
If you record in CMDB only authorized / licensed software, and taking into account Max. installation field value, you can obtain some needed reports.

Regarding your requirement: how many licenses in total we have for MS Office and how many are unassigned.
You know MSOffice Max. installation field value (m), and you can count the number of relations MS Office sw - users (n). How MS Office licenses are unassigned? m - n

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Tita
Occasional Visitor

Hi Peter,

You need to know how many licenses do you have / own for every software product / CI software. This number will be put in Max. installation field on the software CI form.
The system allows to relate CI's, for instance hw - sw, with parent - child relations, until the number from Max. installation field is reached.
The system allows to relate users to the hw CI's. And every user is related to a department (organization).

In that condition you have the following relations: sw installed - hw - users - organization (department).
If you record in CMDB only authorized / licensed software, and taking into account Max. installation field value, you can obtain a some needed reports.

Regarding your requirement: how many licenses in total we have for MS Office and how many are unassigned.
You know MSOffice Max. installation field value (m), and you can count the number of relations MS Office sw - users (n). How MS Office licenses are unassigned? m - n

Regards,
Mihai
Peter Dent
Frequent Visitor

Mahai,

Thanks for that but, its not quite that simple.

As I said I need several records for the same software but for different departments. This is because the department licences have to be recorded separately.

What I need is a way to total up the licences for all the records for the same piece of software.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event