Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to set cursor to a non editable field ?

Highlighted
Sam decosta
Outstanding Contributor.

How to set cursor to a non editable field ?

Hi experts,

I am using HPOVSD 4.5 with SP 23.Whenever i open a new ticket, i want to point the cursor to a non editable field.is it posiible ?
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to set cursor to a non editable field ?

Hi,

what are you trying to achieve by this?
Sam decosta
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Mark,

In my form Cursor is pointing to a drop-down field.So sometimes by mistake if user scroll down it can be change.So i want to move cursor to a non editable field to prevent field value to be change accidently.
Almási János
Trusted Contributor.

I think to prevent accidental modification of the item. Actually as far as I know focus jumps to the first editable field on the form. We prevented accidental modification by a checkbox which had to be checked before saving an item, otherwise a user notification would be sent. After saving a DB rule set this checkbox to unchecked.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I see. Is this cursor field the first editable field on the form?

If so can the field be moved below some other field ,say the customer / requestor field or a text box field etc to prevent the scrolling of the code values.
Sam decosta
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Mark,

first of all thanks for the quick response.I have tried by moving fields in form but again i can't prevent an editable field to be modified accidently.

Is there any way to point cursor to any non editable field ?
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I don't think there is. The suggestion previous about using a custom checkbox to conform if updates are to be made is a good suggestion.

Is there an element of user training that is also needed here i.e. that if the put focus on a code field and scroll then they scroll the field instead of the form. By ensuring that a code field is not the first field on the form helps.