Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to send email to Service Desk 4.5 sp 14?

Highlighted
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

How to send email to Service Desk 4.5 sp 14?

Hi there!

My company wants to introduce the service of sending emails to Service Desk to create a new service call. My company are using GroupWise as internal mailsystem.

How do we configure our mailsystem to recognise our Service Desk server?
I thought I simply could create a email and send it to servicedesk@My SD server's IP-address, but as soon as I send it, I receive a massage from our mailer-deamon saying Undeliverable - host unknown.

I'll guess this is a piece of cake for you guys out there, but for me it's (unfortunantely) not!

Many thanks in advance!

/Mathias
9 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to send email to Service Desk 4.5 sp 14?

Hi,

you have to set up OVSD in the admin console as wel to accept the mails.

Admin console-System Panel-Inbound Email address
Add - set thsi value to whatever appears to the right of the @ for the address that you entered in your mail exchange i.e. if your address is servicedesk@companydomain.com just ass servicedesk as the inbound mail address. Set you mail excahnge to handle routing @company domain.com to the ip address of the OVSD server.

I generally use something like servicedes.mail@companydomain.comn so that only the specific mail for the OVSD serber is routed to is and all other company mail is not

Then go to email commands and edit the "New" command to get started. Set the parameters (in particular the access level) and test. Try the different access levels if you have issues.Admin console-System Panel-Inbound Email address
Add - set thsi value to whatever appears to the right of the @ for the address that you entered in your mail exchange i.e. if your address is servicedesk@companydomain.com just ass servicedesk as the inbound mail address. Set you mail excahnge to handle routing @company domain.com to the ip address of the OVSD server.

I generally use something like servicedes.mail@companydomain.comn so that only the specific mail for the OVSD serber is routed to is and all other company mail is not

Then go to email commands and edit the "New" command to get started. Set the parameters (in particular the access level) and test. Try the different access levels if you have issues.
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark and thanks for your reply!

You wrote:
"Set your mail exchange to handle routing @companydomain.com to the ip address of the OVSD server"

I have some problems configuring this. As far as I know my company's mail exchange can only deliver mail to internal recipients and to external mail exchanges.
Do I have to create an new domain, e.g. @support.companydomain.com, and register it in our DNS and then register the OVSD server as the mail exchange server for this domain, or can it be done in another way?

Best regards, Mathias
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I think you just need to set up an exchange record that points the mail address address to the Openview IP address. This should be all that is required for mail originating internally.

If you expect external mail to be sent to OVSD to create tickets you may need to do something more but I think as lonk as your root doamin can route the mail to the address you should be ok.

I am sorry I can't be more specific with the settings but I normally get the site mail admins to create the records.
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark and thank you once again for spending time helping me out and, of course, your quick answer!

Unfortunantely I can't see a obvious solution for me to set up an mail exchange record that points the mail address to my OVSD IP address, unless I create a new domain for my OVSD server e.g. @support.companydomain.com.

In my world I must have a mail exchange to point out from my company's mail exchange to get it to work, but I suppose I'm wrong...

Can this be a specific thing for GroupWise?

I really don't want to set up another domain if I can avoid it!

Regards, Mathias
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Mathias,

perhaps it is a specific thing fro Groupwise. In a Lotus Notes environment I had to set up a "Foreign Domain" for the OVSD record to route mail directly to it. thi sset up the new address in the Notes system.

Perhaps what you are looking at is the Groupwise equivalent.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

As far as I am aware, the requirement is that you mail system should route anything which comes in for the SD email address to the HPSD server on the relevant port.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Marc Hummel
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,
This may be a dumb question, but have you set up an account for servicedesk on your exchange system?

I didn't see anything saying you've created the account servicedesk@your.company.com.

Just a thought.
Wounds heel, Pain fades... chix dig scar's, oh and everybody WangChung.
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hi there!

Thank you all for your replies! I've been away for a couple of days, so I haven't been able to read your posts!

I've found a web page from Novell covering this area, located at the following address (if someone is interested):
http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=10010997&sliceId=&dialogID=16726464&stateId=1%200%202622879

I'll come back later with further information about my email issue when I know more..!

Thank you all!

/Mathias
Mathias Byrö
Respected Contributor.

Hello!

As I wrote in my previous reply, the solution was the ROUTE.CFG file in GroupWise!

Thank you all for your help!

/Mathias