cancel

How to make Workorder field read only after approval

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

How to make Workorder field read only after approval

After the Workoder is Approved by a Specific user i want to make the Fields of Work order read only for other users.so that this work order is ready only for them .but i want to to allow a few users that can even mofiy the Work order when its is approved.

i am creating a DB Rule for it .i have applied the condition on which this rule will trigger but in ACTION to take what should i do

i have three options

COMMAND EXE
Data Update
Data Update from external System

kinldy guide me that how can i make this possible.

best regrads
Adeel Mehmood
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: How to make Workorder field read only after approval

Hello Adeel,

This kind of work can be done only using folder entitlement. Create a db rule that when work order is approved to change a folder to a specified one.

You have to make sure that only designated roles have write access at this folder. All the other roles must have read-only access.

If you are not familiar with folder entitlement I suggest to have a good read on the administrator's guide before trying to implement this solution.
menes fhtagn
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

thanks

can you please guide me how can i set permissions on Folders so that specific users can access it .and also guide me how can move Workorders from one folder from a DB Rule .

Thanks
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Adeel,

Adeel, it is absolutely necessary for you to understand how folder entitlement works. No one can guide you to how set up your access levels because this is organization defendant.

The idea is this: Instead of giving roles access to entities (Service Call or Work Order etc) you give access to folders.

Consider that you have two folders, folder A and folder B. Let's say you have two roles, role A and role B.

Role A can have full access when folder is Folder A and Role B can have full access when folder is folder B.

Open role A and go to work order. Under Work Order leave checked only "read". Now, if you have enabled Folder Entitlement and created two roles, under "Work Order" should be two folders listed. Select Folder A and press Details. Enable "View" and "Modify", if you want also enable New and Remove and to the history line give also the appropriate rights.

Press OK twice and you have done with Role A.

What we have done is that users with Role A will have RO access to Work Orders but when this work order has the Folder A attribute, those same users will have full access!

Setting a Folder through DB rules is very simple, using "Data Update" and from there Select Folder and give the appropriate value.

But as I said earlier it is imperative that you fully grasp the the concept of folder entitlement because it is not as simplistic as I described.

DO NOT follow the instructions above until you fully understand how to set up a complete folder structure. This posting was just for showing the general idea of Folder Entitlement.
menes fhtagn
Adeel Mehmood
Respected Contributor.

thanks it worked like Magic