Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

How to make Search code as Unique in organization CMDB

Highlighted
Smitha Sajeev
Super Contributor.

How to make Search code as Unique in organization CMDB

Hi there,

I'm using SD 4.5 SP9, in that how to make Search code as Unique in organization CMDB?

Can any one help me?

Regards,
Smitha
3 REPLIES
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: How to make Search code as Unique in organization CMDB

Hi Smitha,

as far as i am concerned, Organization records cannot be set as Unique or there isn't any feature enabled in OVSD to set the Organization field as unique. You should set it manually.

in order to maintain the uniqueness, we are following the below naming standard:

[Customer Code]-[Region or Country Code (optional)]-[Sub Organization Code Name]

raman
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

out of box there is no facility to enable this as a default.

You can choose a naming convention but this can be prone to user error.

You could look at using UI rules with a sd_dataform to search for a CI once the search code has been entered and if any results are returned the CI code is not unique.

Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Smitha,

There are different tricks you can use to work around this problem.

1) Use an overview action to see if there are any other organizations with the same search code. If so, the user should be instructed to find another search code.

2) Run a UI rule when the search code changes. This rule will do a select in the database and count the number of records with the same search code. If the search code exists already, then set a flag in the organization record. Finally, set a UI rule to check that flag before saving. If it is set, then display an error message, preventing the user from saving the record with that search code. Be sure to unset the flag, and erase the search code.

Good luck,
Josh