Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle hotfixes in Change?

Highlighted
AndrewB
Regular Collector

How to handle hotfixes in Change?

Hi Folks,

For those of you that RFC your server patches and hotfixes, what is your strategy when patching multiple servers? Create an RFC for each Server or make the patch a CI and create one RFC and the relate the servers?? From my perspective it makes sense to make a patch CI, create a single RFC, and then relate the servers to the patch CI’s through the CMDB. Has anyone automated this process in OVSD??

Thanks for the input….Andrew
3 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: How to handle hotfixes in Change?

Hi,

One way to do it is to create a code field on the CI form called Patch Window and activate for server CI's. Set the different patch windows as the available codes. Have each server CI set to a patch window. Create 1 change request for the patching for that week. Create a workorder for each patch window and use the CI patch window code to find and relate all the Affected CI's for that patch window.

This means that the 1 RFC is for approval for all patch activity fo that day / week. And that you will create a workorder for each patch window relating the affected CIs instead of a workorder or change for each CI that is being patched.
AndrewB
Regular Collector

Thanks for the reply Mark. It is an interesting and creative process! I do struggle with deligating changes into workorders and then the wo being assigned to the server CI. If it is a change then I think the change should be related to the CI. Maybe, with this tool, I will just have to let this go;-)

Thanks again...Andrew
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I do agree with 1 change per CI however due to OVSD not supporting multiple CI's per change and seeing that workorders can reduce the amount of admin spent creating changes I am ok with it.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event