Did you mean: 

How to find and delete custom field

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sia2003

How to find and delete custom field

Hi there,
I have old Sdesk, which was administered by someone... but this guy already gone away.
I can see in that SDesk several custom fields, which I need to know - are they currently in use by some kind of rule, or somewhere else...
I can disable them... but better delete, because in case it will be necessary new custom field for future use, I'll prefer to create new, clear, custom field)
Who can help me in such investigation problem?
4 REPLIES
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Re: How to find and delete custom field

If they are not being used, disabling them is your best shot. You just don't delete stuff from the application, particularly if you are unsure if it is being used by anyone for anything.

Out-of-the-box custom fields are part of the core data model. If you attempted to delete those, the database structure check run every time you upgrade service packs will most likely complain.

Moreover, with the Unlimited Custom Fields functionality, the application allows you to create new fields only. There is no option to delete custom fields.

If you are certain these custom fields are not being used, you could simply rename if you ever need to reuse (and optionally clear old data from those fields).

Hope this helps.
Points (and pints) are welcome.

The Pike
sia2003

Hello Pike,
I thought what the huge custom fields count can be the reason for SDesk poor performance... Am I correct?
Also, how to clean old data from those fields?
Also, can I find the DB/UI rule where this custom field may be in use?
The Pike
Honored Contributor

Would love to see points awarded for the guidance in the previous post first. Here's how:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

The Pike
The Pike
Honored Contributor
Solution

That's more like it!

So, custom fields count does not actually affect performance. Use and abuse custom fields in Views, for example, and you will experience slowness.

If fields in question contain data in a small number of records, you could select those records in a View or Advanced Find result set and apply the "Update All" feature with the "Make empty" option.

If they're a few too many, you could use a Data Exchange task to update those.

To find which UI/DB Rules these fields are being used in, you may export the UI and DB Rule Views as HTML docs (File > Export) and use those to search for the field names.

Alternatively, you could use the SD45ViewRules tool to list all DB rules in a single file, same goes for the UI Rules. Check your Service Pack readme file for instructions on using this feature.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome!

The Pike
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event