How to estimate remainder of time in '%'

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sia2003

How to estimate remainder of time in '%'

Hi there,
I use sdesk v4.5 sp14
For customer satisfaction we decide to 'ping' our support engineers via email if already 80% of time was gone (deadline come), but the solution still not find.
But, how to create such rule? How to made such condition in it? I see what I can made criteria only with exact value of time in it.
Please, help me here, because in other case I'll be must made many rules for each SLA, if time conditions is unique in it
30 REPLIES
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

Re: How to estimate remainder of time in '%'

I'm afraid if you stick rigidly to 80% you may need s lot of rules to do it. I would "relax" a bit and have "ranges" of Priority where you send maybe 1hr before deadline, 2 hours, 4 hours and maybe the "low"s don't need a message?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Sia,

Actually you can do it quite easy. You are going to need one duration field and one number field. The number field is going to be used only to allows us do a dirty trick! Let's name the duration "max_duration_before_warning" and the number "temp_number"

The rule:

When Service Call is created
where NOT (Deadline is empty)
Set max_duration_before_warning (Update Data) max_duration_before_warning set to (Subtract Date from [Deadline] With [Registration Created]); max_duration_before_warning set to ( [max_duration_before_warning] * 0.8)

However there is a trick for entering the rule.

Setting max_duration to deadline-reg;created is easy. The tricky part is the second.

To enter it, use the temp_number

set temp_number to 0.8 * [max_duration_before_warning]

but before pressing Add to list, select the text (temp_number), delete it and *TYPE* max_duration_before_warning

Then create a second rule (a scheduled task) that will check for Service Call status 1 min after (or before, your choise) from max_duration_before_warning

As action send the e-mail :)

Cool, isn't it?
menes fhtagn
sia2003

Hi there George,
thank you and some questions - what is the "duration field" ? I can't see it in 'Custom fields'.
What is the 'Subtract Date' function? I can't see it...
I'm use sp 14. which sp are you use or talked about?

George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

In each "Service Today" entity (Project, Service Call, Incident, Change, Problem and Work Order) there are two custom fields of duration type.

Usually their name is like SerDuration1, SerDuration2, WorDuration1,WorDuration2 etc. In the fields drop down list there are listed as numbers eg, SerDuration1 (Number)

The subtract date from is a function available to db/ui rules for duration type fields.
menes fhtagn
sia2003

sorry, i'm find the 'duration' field in 'calculated fields', but this new field (max_duration_before_warning) is not visible in Rule Wizard...
Can I use some default 'duration' fields or something else?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

*DO NOT* look at calculated fields. Look at custom fields.
menes fhtagn
sia2003

hi there,
About part one - I find what you say and do as you say. All calculated correctly.
But about second rule - can describe how it will work? Because the computed result (80% of time) executed once...

And also. What can you advise if I'll need in 4th such thresholds like this one (I'm about % of time)
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You are right! I forgot that at your SP it's impossible to add a custom duration to a date.

Unfortunately, to be able to add a duration to date you need SP18 or higher and even then it's quite tricky (see http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1029966)

Please accept my apologies.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Sia!

I have an idea, but it requires use of Actual Duration.

The idea is simple, after setting (from the previous rule) max_duration_before_warning then set Actual start to Registration Created and Actual Duration to max_duration_before_warning.

Actual Finish will be automatically closed and furthermore the calculation of actual duration takes SLA into account.

Then set a custom date field to have the value of Actual Finish.

Then, the rule could be scheduled 1 minute before the custom date!

However make sure that custom date is set Actual Finish ONLY ONE TIME and only for this instance!
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello again

I wrote " Actual Finish will be automatically closed and furthermore the calculation of actual duration takes SLA into account. "

What I wanted to write was "Actual Finish will be automatically *CALCULATED* and furthermore..."

BTW, that works. I checked it in my test system :)
menes fhtagn
sia2003

well, I think what a new spack will be necessary by many reasons. but the other question is about -
I need one rule for 80%, for 50% , for 30% and may be for others. What can I do if only two fields are available in 'custom fields'?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The problem is not the custom durations (you could upgrade to SP20 and solve this problem). The main problem is that unless you do tricks (mentioned in the link I posted in a previous answer), you will have to use "Actual Start/Finish/Duration" and usually you don't want to mess around with their values.
menes fhtagn
sia2003

well, I'm need a timeout for such implementation. Hope what the Monday will be great day...
sia2003

Hello George,
patch was installed successful. It seems to me what SDesk v4.5 with sp23 work fine.
But, can you explain me how to create second rule?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor
Solution

The second rule is pretty easy:

When service call is modified
where (*) is anything
AND NOT (Status equals CompletedORClosed, Schedule the validation of this condition at 1 minute Before )

As action send the e-mail
menes fhtagn
sia2003

hi there,
yes, but I'm not understand when the became here?
For the first rule I add two custom field - duration and number.
When was added?
sorry for my misunderstanding...
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

It's the ninth post on this thread
menes fhtagn
sia2003

well, but I thought what that way was accessible and necessary if I stay in my sp14's state.
But now I made update and have SDesk with sp23, so in this case I thought the way will be as in you first post. And in this case I don't know how to make second scheduled rule -
After first rule I have custom duration field with value of time, after which I must send alarm. But how to calculate the elapsed time for it... how to make such trigger?
Am I wrong?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Use the trick described at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1029966
to add the custom duration to current date. Store the result to a custom date field. Schedule the check 1 minute before or after the custom date field.
menes fhtagn
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

BTW, if you need further help I will be available tomorrow. Unfortunately a fallen tree cut telephone lines (and thus ADSL) back home and until this is fixed I have access only from work.
menes fhtagn
Tulio Quinones
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

SD 4.5 SP 22

Have been following this thread and getting very excited about it because it appears to meet a requirement we have been trying to implement for a while.

At 25% and 50% of the deadline we would like do perform an action (typically an email).

Sorry I got a bit confused with the thread (looks like solution was in two posts), but could you list again what rules we would have to add?

Thanks!
sia2003

Hi there George,
about your link - what is 'custom double field '
I can find such field... Is it just Date field or no?
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello sia,

the double field is a custom field that you must create. That is why this method requires SP18 or greater
menes fhtagn
sia2003

Again sorry,
but here is what I have -
First rule is -
When service call is created
where NOT (Deadline is empty)
max_duration_before_warning (Update Data) max_duration_before_warning set to (Subtract Date from [Deadline] With [Registration Created]); max_duration_before_warning set to ( [max_duration_before_warning] * 0.8)

And can you type the second rule... i'm not sure what really understand all new features...
I'm just create new double field
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event