How to copy one field to another?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

How to copy one field to another?

I use SD4.5 SP17.

I have the need to automatically create a new Service Call from an existing call on the system.

Using a Smart Action and "sd-dataform -forcenew" I can accomplish this sucessfully.

However, I need to copy some data from the existing SC to the new one at the time of creation. Again, I can do this in sd-dataform by passing the fiekd data as parameters.

There is one field that I really need and that is one I have called "Information History", its the large custom text field of 64k I think?

It doesn't appear in the list of fields available as parameters, so I can't access it.

Does anyone know how I can copy the data from one 64k text field on a service call to another?

Thanks
Peter
10 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to copy one field to another?

Hi
All fields what are you like copy from item to item possible describe in Administrator console->Data->Copy Fields. But filed 64k excluded from this list :(.
I implement the next solution:
in Copy Field set one new field where copied Copy of ID,so each child SC will have information about ID of initialization.
Create the UI rule with Action "update from external system". url to web server , argument send ID of initiator and receive information to 64k.
The web site read information from previose SC by ID and copy field to output.

Vasily
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Vasily,

Thanks for that, quite a bit of work though?

I'll keep it in mind but, it may be that I tell the users that they have to manually copy the data from one call to another.

Peter
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

HI
Sorry, are you like so user doing maually copy for 64->64 ?

Vasily
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Peter,

If you create a subcontract service call instead of a service call, then you can copy anything (except entity sets) to the subcontract service call.

For example the following rule works here:

When a value has changed
where NOT (Subcontract call;Subcontract call from servicecall (*) is empty)
test (Update Data) Message history set to [Subcontract call Subcontract call from servicecall Message history]

(Message History is a 64K field we use)
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

That's an interesting option George.

I've looked at it and within Smart Actions the 64k field is still not available from the list even for Subcontract Call?

It is available within a DB rule however.

The example you have shown seems to be the wrong way round for me, I mean its the subcontactcall I would need to copy to.

What kind of rule is it, DB/UI? What would trigger the rule in this case?

Functionaly, is there any difference between a service call and a subcontract call? Does the system treat them diferently?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello Peter,

The rule posted earlier is UI rule. The criterion is to check whether the call is a subcontract call of another service call. If yes, then the 64k field is copied from the source (subcontract; from) service call.

Each service call can have as many subcontract service calls needed, but any service call can have at most one source (subcontract;from) service call.

To read more about subcontract service calls, open client's on-line help and at the index type "subcontract". I quote from the help file:

<<
When analysis of an event reveals that you need to apply to another service provider to resolve the root cause of the event, you can create a subcontract service call. The subcontract service call contains information copied from the original event, to which a relation is established.
>>
menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks George,

That seems like the only way I can create a new SC and copy the 64k field across.

Why isn't it available (the 64k field), to be copied just like any other field?

Peter
Manivasakam
Respected Contributor.

Hi Peter,

I do have the similar requirement, to automatically create a new Service Call from an existing call on the system. The condition for opening the automated servicecall is..
1.At that time of parent ticket closure with special closure code
The requirement for the new child sc creation is..
1. Copy all the values from the closed parent sc
2. Copy value from one field and update in diff field on the child sc
3. Copy the workgroup searchcode from custom text field on the parent sc to pass it to "Assignment to workgroup" on the child sc

I am not familiar on data form, can you help me on this request.
-Thanks, Mani.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Mani,

I think I can help with at least part of your question. There is more than one subject in your question, I think.

In order to get the best brains working on this it will be best if you post a new question.

Create a new topic and post the quetion there.

I'll keep an eye out for it in the list of questions and answer the parts I can.

Peter
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

See above.