Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to authenticate via web-api without a password?

Highlighted
GunMetalGrey
Occasional Contributor

How to authenticate via web-api without a password?

Hi just wondering if it is possible to authenticate via the web-api by providing a username and no password? Reason being

Our applications are asp.net and the user is authenticated via NTLogin (all intranet based apps). I need to be able to log a service call thru the web api without requiring the user to login again or provide any more credentials(basically single sign on). I'm unable to get password info from AD, so I'm not sure how to go about the whole apiSDSession method that accepts server, username, and password. Is there any other methods that will just authenticate SD based on whether it finds the user's email or username in its DB?..
4 REPLIES
Ganesha Sridhar
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to authenticate via web-api without a password?

Hello,

Password is very much required to access the OVSD Data using WEB-API. The user name alone is not enough. The best way is to import required user credentials from AD then use ADâ s user name and password. So with one user name / password the things will work for you.

HTH

Regards,
Ganesha Sridhara
GunMetalGrey
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Ganesha. I was thinking.. is it ok to say use a generic account to connect to the session ie "ServiceDesk".. but when creating a new service call, I would do a search on the person, supplying the \joe.bloggs value to get back the actual person (via personWhere) object who made the call (assuming that they will exist in the DB, as we will also have a problem that some people will not exist in the OV DB who will be logging in). Then I would set this person to be the caller? Please let me know if my explaination isn't too clear.
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

That possible if you are will use only by one customer and set login and password in web.xml as additional parameters, exml:

sd_user
view

Name for login.

and for password the same.
Modify .jsp so password and login read from this varables:
<% final String login = getServletContext().getInitParameter("sd_user"); %>
<% final String password = getServletContext().getInitParameter("sd_password"); %>
Beliave it help.
GunMetalGrey
Occasional Contributor

Vassili, I won't be logging in via any jsp's.. but a webservice. I'm not quit sure when u say if it will be used by one user?

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event