The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you modify outbound email messages not controlled by commands in the email property screen

Highlighted
Del Ruesch
Regular Collector

How do you modify outbound email messages not controlled by commands in the email property screen

I am having trouble understanding the built-in email capability in Service Desk. We had a consultant who developed some database rules which would trigger emails to be sent for certain events. For various reasons we ended up turning off (blocking) these rules. However, users continued to get emails in certain situations, which led us to the discovery of the built-in outbound email functionality in Service Desk!!

Unfortunately these built-in email messages are not always correct. For example, one email message says, “Change [ID] has been assigned to you.” Unfortunately this message gets sent out not only when it is assigned to the person, but also when it is just assigned to the workgroup. This has led to a lot of confusion and the users begin to ignore the emails because they are incorrect. I suppose we can instruct each individual employee that Service Desk is not working correctly so they need to turn off the email feature, but it seems like there should be a way to correct these outbound email messages.

Is there good documentation regarding the built-in outbound email features of Service Desk? I have to admit that I am baffled by the process. Emails are being sent out automatically and there are no commands to control them. On the email properties screen in the control panel, there are a group of pre-defined commands for service calls. No emails associated with these commands are sent out. However, with the existence of NO commands, users are getting emails regarding Change Assignments, etc. These are sent out using the templates on the Email Template. Where do I go to modify these assignment and approval emails so they will be correct? Can I disable them somehow (without going to the user’s Tools/Options/Advanced screen?

Keep in mind that I am not talking about outbound email that is triggered by inbound email. All the email messages being sent are triggered by events within Service Desk like the creation of a new change request (but not controlled by database rules).

[we use Service Desk 4.5 SP 18]

5 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: How do you modify outbound email messages not controlled by commands in the email property screen

Hi,

on the perswon records form there should be 2 check boxes that are similar to the below

->Send me an email when items are assigned to me
->Send me an e-mail when I am listed as an approver

You could uncheck these for person records (update all) and then set the value for the ones that you want to receive the notifications.

Note:
->Send me an email when items are assigned to me. This is sending the mail as described above. In some instances I have unchecked this for all users using update all, set it to unchecked with the templates and used indicivual DB rules to send the mail notifications on assignment as I cn controll them better and add content to the mail.

->Send me an e-mail when I am listed as an approver is generally set to yes by default with the template unless you have a very small pool of approvers.
Del Ruesch
Regular Collector

Re: How do you modify outbound email messages not controlled by commands in the email property screen

Mark,
It appears, from your reply, that it is not possible to modify the outbound emails-- either they're enabled or they're disabled. Thanks for the suggestion regarding update all-- that will make it much easier to fix.

My opnion: It seems, once again, that Service Desk gets close to providing useful functionality but doesn't quite reach the goal. The product requires so much modification to be useful, we're wondering if we should have just developed something internally.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you can use 2 DB rules for each module to achieve this. They do the job well and allow greater felxability in regards the level of details provided in the sent mail. I know it is not as simple as using say mail out templates but it is effective and does have little overhead.

Best of luck
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi Del,

As well as the advice that Mark has given you can in SP18 alter the contents of these system emails if you want.

Go to Tools>System>System Panel>Email settings and the email templates tab.

You should find there all the emails thatc an be sent and you can reconfigure them to be as you want.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Del Ruesch
Regular Collector

Thank you, Ruth and Mark. I will modify the template to reflect how we do things. I guess I'm still a little surprised that you can't disable this function globally (except through an 'update all' to the user accounts).
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event