The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I see that somebody else has updated an item assigned to me?

Highlighted
Christer Stormy
Occasional Advisor

How can I see that somebody else has updated an item assigned to me?

We often have items being updated manually or via incoming emails while they are assigned to a person other than the one performing the update.

To make our work easier I would like to implement functionality in SD to make it possible for a user to easily see if items assigned to him has been updated by anybody else since he last checked on them.

I could picture this as a service today view, where all items are shown in bold text if they have never been opened by the currently assigned person, or if information has been added after the currently assigned person last reviewed the item. It would look very much like Outlook, where all mails are shown in bold text until they are read.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible or not?
6 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I see that somebody else has updated an item assigned to me?

Hi,

before looking at automation have you looked at using the history tab and setting auditing on the fields. That way you look at the history tab to see who has changed the call by using the date modified field as the sort. The latest field change will be the first (or last) in the list with the details of who made the update. Is this sufficient for your needs?
Christer Stormy
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark, What you describe is essentially what we are doing today. However I would like to be able to see if an Item has received new info without opening it.

And we are using SD4.5 SP17 by the way, I see I forgot to mention that in my first posting.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I see. I have an idea bit I can't test at the moment as my lab is off line. Rebuilding slowly as we speak.

It involved capturing the registration modified value and comparing it against the assigned to value and seeing if they are different. If so another rule trigers a check box yes and a filter in a view picks this up and there you are.

I an concerned about comparing the 2 fields and can't check if there are constraints on this.

Also there needs to be a way to deal with when the call is originally created - maybe a rule that clers the check box for new calls.

Anyway they are my thoughts if you want to explore them a little but again I can't check a few basics so not sure how far we can go with this.

AndrewB
Regular Collector

Hi Christer,

Yes, we have the same issue here. Our last ticketing system had a very good system for notifying about updates and out staff used it in a conversational manner. It has been a challange to replicate it in OVSD and staff do not want to have to going into every ticket just to see if it has been updated.

So, here are the two db rules we use:
1. Updated by others indicator
When service call is created or modified
where NOT (Last Modified By (*) is (exactly) Assignment;To Person;Name)
Updated by others indicator (Update Data) Update by Others set to 'true'

2.Updated by others indicator reset
where Last Modified By (*) is (exactly) Assignment;To Person;Name
Updated by others indicator reset (Update Data) Update by Others set to 'false'

"Updated by others" is a boolean.

For you requirements it sounds like you would want to reverse the logic of the two dbrules and then, so as to achive the bolding, set a formatting rule in your view that triggers off the bool field.

I hope this does the trick for you,

Andrew
Christer Stormy
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Andrew and Mark for your suggestions. I have tried to copy Andrew's rules, but I am not able to find the field "Last modified by". I assume this is not available in the version we are using (V4.5 SP17). However there is a field called "Modified by", and I guess this is pretty much the same. Using the field "Modified by" I have come up with the following rules, which almoust does what I want.

1. Clear "Updated by Other" field
where Registration;Modified by (*) equals Assignment To person Account
Clear "Updated by Other" (Update Data) Updated by Other set to false

2.Set "Updated by Other" field
where NOT (Registration;Modified by (*) equals Assignment To person Account)
Set "Updated by Others" field (Update Data) Updated by Other set to true

Now, the only thing I am struggling with is that the rule itself, when triggered, changes the "Modified by" field to "System Administrator". Thus, when rule 1 is triggered, rule 2 is always triggered instantly afterwards. How can I get around this?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

Try amending rule 1:

1. Clear "Updated by Other" field
where
Registration;Modified by (*) equals Assignment To person Account

AND

NOT Registration;Modified by (*) equals "System administrator"

Clear "Updated by Other" (Update Data) Updated by Other set to false

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event