Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

How can I access the contents of a field?

Highlighted
Peter J Gray
Respected Contributor.

How can I access the contents of a field?

Hi,

I am attempting to edit the contents of a custom field but do not kwow how to access it within the Administrator Console of HP OP 4.5 SP12.

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Peter
5 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How can I access the contents of a field?

Peter,

The Admin Console allows you to change the label of a custom field, activate it (possible for certain categories only) and change its format (for certain data types). It does not allow you to change the data in the custom fields.

To access custom fields from the Admin Console, look under Data, then Custom fields, then the item type.

-Josh
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Peter,
Be carefully when modify label or type of custom field on OVSD!:
1. If you are attempting to modify label of custom field be sure that it is not used by other people which have rights to modify that field in other CIs categories!
2. If you are attempting to modify custom field type, besides those mentioned before,
you have to make empty and recover initial name of old custom field (eg. CI Text 40(Text255)).
Best regards,
Dan
Mihai Tita
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Peter,

You can edit the data in a custom field by using SD interface, on the forms in which the fields exists or by using tools to manipulate directly the database (for instance, sql statements on the corresponding tables).

Mihai Tita
Outstanding Contributor.

Peter,

For the others changes see the Josh's answer.

Mihai
Utku Sertan Elg
Respected Contributor.

Hi Peter,

Telling that you want to edit the contents of a custom field; there arises two questions:

1) If it is a custom field you try to edit, then it should already be created by yourself, so apply the editing from;
Administrator Console / Data / Custom Fields
OR
From any form that includes the named field

2) As you say you try to edit the CONTENTS, can you be mentioning the contents of a combobox?

Regards

Sertan