Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

History Line question

Highlighted
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

History Line question

Hello all,

Currently my organization is using a "diary format" to store text entered in the Information field. (essentially concatenating the information field to the existing text in a 64k text field). One problem we have encountered, especially with large incidents, is that the information gets truncated once we fill up the field.

What I would like to do is audit the information field so that if truncation does occur we can still go into the history to find out what was entered. Simply turning on auditing works, however all the information is dumped into the subject and the information field of the history field is blank.

Is there a way of putting the information from another form (incident for example) into the information field of a history record?
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
5 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: History Line question

HI
Replace standard Information field to one another 4k lenght.
Add to History possible, but will not have a good presentation informations view as on 64k. Attachment doing using no limited lenght of file.

Vassili
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

I'm sorry but I don't think I understand your response and I need clarification. From what I gather from your response you are saying that if I use a different field other than information that it will automatically put the text in the information field of the history record?
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi
I spoke about, use Information field as source of information and store all in 64k as:
User1 wrote:
abcd...

User2 Wrote:

etc.
That more informed then History, where to much other information.

Vassili
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Craig,

You could monitor how full it is by setting up a custom text field and have a DB rule which used the "Count ..." function to capture how many charcters within the 64K text field have been used.

Then a second DB rule could alert you if this approached the limit.

I would recommend however, that you also address why so much information is being place din the field and see whether you can reduce it by using:

1. attachments
2. urls to files
3. ensuring incidents do not alst that long - one way of doing this is not to reopen old incidents or calls but log new ones.

Hope this helps

Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Craig R Taylor
Honored Contributor.

Typically most of our incidents don't come near approaching the limit for the 64k field. When we do go over, those sorts of incidents get scrutinized in depth by our management team. In the case of a prolonged outage that involves a lot of troubleshooting, there is a lot of user entries. We also have rules that discourage reopening incidents.

The solution I came up with yesterday was to alter the history line form for incidents so that it would show the value that got changed and what it was changed to. That way when the information field is changed it is logged. When we fill up the 64k field and the earlier entries get truncated, we can still look at the history and see what people put in.

Having a warning to the user that the field is close to being full is a good idea too. That way when it does get full, the user is directed to another source for the initial entries.

Thanks