Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Hierarchical Tree view UI rule

Highlighted
Ben Little
Valued Contributor.

Hierarchical Tree view UI rule

For my cateogries in the CI's, we have things broken down by as follows in a Hierarchical tree view:

Hardware
.....|---Server
.....|---Workstation
.....|---Network
Software
Other

etc.
While there is a way to use the "in tree with root" comparitor in an Advanced Find, is there a way to make a UI rule check the same? E.g., I want to limit Subcategory to Server, Workstation, or Network, when Hardware is selected as the category. However, I do not want to have to select the distinct pieces each time, as the list of "child" objects may get modified later
3 REPLIES
Eric Ung
Super Contributor.

Re: Hierarchical Tree view UI rule

Ben,
Not sure what version and SP you are running but we are using SD4.5 with SP17 and there is an option to limit contents of a field based on some criteria or a combination of criterias
Here is a sample UI Rule Condition

When a value has changed
where Classification (*) equals Hardware
Limit Cat (Limit field value range) Subcategory equals Server;
Ben Little
Valued Contributor.

Version is 4.5 SP11. I know how to limit data with a standard UI Rule, but I need to know if later the following modification to your code is available in later service packs or is a feature I am just missing in mine:

When a value has changed
where Classification (*) Hardware
Limit Cat (Limit field value range) Subcategory equals Server;

From the original post, I need to check whether a value is anywhere in the subtree of 'hardware', without detailing each individual item, as they will change in the future. The query works from Advanced Find, so the logic is in there somewhere.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ben,

In SP 18, the operator "In tree with root" is not available in UI or DB rules.

I do not know of a way to simulate this functionality, other than enumerating all the desired categories, which, as you point out, makes the rules difficult to maintain.

-Josh