Help with changing fields from Drop Down to Plain Text

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Kim Holden
Trusted Contributor.

Help with changing fields from Drop Down to Plain Text

Good afternoon everyone

I'm hoping someone can help me as I am very new to this backend of Service Desk.

I am working with Service Desk 4.5 service pack 21.

We have 2 fields on a CI subform called effective bandwidth and burst capability. They are currently drop down menus of 2 or 3 options which have never been used on any CI record.

I have a request to change these to free text 40 fields rather than drop down lists, but I am completely lost.

I have found the original codes under data>custom fields>CI>Entity Reference and I can disable them from here. I know how to remove the original fields from the subform also if necessary, but how to either "Change" the type of the field or "Create" new ones to replace these ones, I'm lost :)

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Kim
7 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Help with changing fields from Drop Down to Plain Text

HI
Actiavte on Custom field in CI with lenght 40, open subform remove one code field, place the new field on form, what you activated before, right click, rename as you like, save the from.
Repit, one more time for second field.

Vasily
Kim Holden
Trusted Contributor.

I'm sorry Vasily - but that doesn't mean anything to me. I'm very new to this, so I hope you can forgive me.

I really need step by step instructions on how to create the field, how to add it to the form, how to activate it etc.

Is there a manual online of some sort that could help? :)

Kim :)
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

That was a steps :), look to attachned doc.

Vasily
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Kim,

I don't want to confuse you but just to mention the following.

Using code field values means that you will get the expected and required response every time i.e. the user can only selecy from the list.

Changing to freeform text allows users to enter in anything which can be difficult to search under and for classification - user spells the value differently, adds a "-" etc - there will be no uniform response.

Just something to consider.
Kim Holden
Trusted Contributor.

Morning

Unfortunately we do understand the pitfalls of a "text" field, but they are going to be using thousands of different options, and a drop down menu is not really feasible.

These fields will however be restricted to a certain area - so hopefully they will be very careful with what the enter and how :)

Thanks for the warning though :)

Kim :)
Kim Holden
Trusted Contributor.

Vasily - thanks so much for the screenshots, it made finding everything really easy.

All is working great now.

Thanks again for your help :)

Kim
Kim Holden
Trusted Contributor.

Vasily provided me with instructions on how to fix this issue.