Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPSD 4.5 Inbound Email Problem - Multiple Tickets Generated

Highlighted
Marty Brown_1
Regular Collector

HPSD 4.5 Inbound Email Problem - Multiple Tickets Generated

Hi all. We're at HPSD 4.5 SP21, and I've got a new problem today with a single inbound email stuck in a loop somehow and causing repeated ServiceCall tickets to be generated.

I've cleared the server cache and re-started the HPSD service on the App server, but new ServiceCalls are still being created, every 1-2 minutes or so.

Server Log shows occurrences of the following error message:

Thu, 24/07/2008 00:37:13 Started parsing E-mail
Thu, 24/07/2008 00:37:13 java.lang.ClassCastException
at com.hp.ifc.net.smtp.AppMIMEInputStream.handleBody(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.net.smtp.AppMIMEInputStream.handleMultiPart(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.net.smtp.AppMIMEInputStream.handleBody(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.net.smtp.AppMIMEInputStream.readData(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.net.smtp.AppSmtpRequestHandler.process(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.net.tcp.AppTcpConnection.processRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.hp.ifc.net.tcp.AppTcpThread.run(Unknown Source)

Other new inbound emails are correctly creating ServiceCall tickets normally. It's just this one email that is stuck and re-trying...

Inbound emails must be cached someplace other than the \server\cache folder. I know I need to go in and whack something to get this to stop, but don't know where to go or what to do. Can anybody help?

Thanks!

~Marty
10 REPLIES
Marty Brown_1
Regular Collector

Re: HPSD 4.5 Inbound Email Problem - Multiple Tickets Generated

Are the inbound emails cached in the DATABASE Someplace? If so, I can't find them. Any thoughts? Points to anybody who can help.

Thanks!

~Marty
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I have seen this when the "Reply-To" field in the Email settigns has the same address as the one used to create inbound email calls.

May I suggest you chedking the following technical document:
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM80327?searchIdentifier=-6de75a64:11b52ee2ecf:-6920&resultType=document&documentURL=KM80327&resultsURL=/selfsolve/documents&allowReturn=false

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I have seen that when the "Reply-To" field in the Email settigns has the same address as the one used to create inbound email calls this issue occurs.

May I suggest you checking the following technical document:
http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM80327?searchIdentifier=-6de75a64:11b52ee2ecf:-6920&resultType=document&documentURL=KM80327&resultsURL=/selfsolve/documents&allowReturn=false

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Marty Brown_1
Regular Collector

Thanks for the link, but these 'extra' ServiceCall tickets are not the result of looping within HPSD in the manner described in the document you liked me to.

What's happening is that HPSD is receiving the incoming email, processing starts, and it gets far enough in the process where it's able to create a Service Call ticket for it, but then something goes wrong and it is not able to delete that incoming email or at least send some kind of acknowledgement back to say that the message was properly handled. So, even though a ticket got created, the original message that causes tickets to get created never goes away.

What I'm seeing is that every five minutes, (or shorter if other incoming emails come in to be processed), another error is logged in my HPSD server log, and another bogus ServiceCall ticket gets created.

So, this horked message is stuck in either one of two places:

1) Somewhere on an Exchange Server someplace, which is doing the job of repeatedly re-sending the message along to HPSD

2) Somewhere on my HPSD Server, where the HPSD code is doing the job of re-starting the ticket creation logic.

I'm leaning toward #2 above, because of the timing of the new bogus tickets as I've explained above. If it was the email infrastructure, I'd think that the re-sends would always be the same time length apart. Also, my email infrastucture folks told me that they don't see any message like this on the Exchange server side (although I'm not sure how thoroughly they looked)

So, if it is indeed #2, the question is, exactly WHERE on the HPSD server do these inbound emails queue up? I can't find a file in the HPSD database itself where they live (but I might have missed it). I purged the \server\cache folder, thinking that it would have been there, but that didn't clean it out.

Anybody know where these inbound email messages queue up on the HPSD server side?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

~Marty
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi Marty.
What are you or exch. admin did before a problem come - change the settings on Exchange, networs, firewalls, Service desk? Do you have a answer?
E-mail delivered to SD and if parsing process creashed, then sender(Exchange server) not receive answer about sucsessfuly delivering and doesn't remove e-mail from query, and will sent e-mail again to SD some times how set in exchange settings(default 10).
Ordinary, the problem with e-mail be with Exc. 2007, what is your version? SD's Email process using server\temp folder to story a attachment. Attachments created and if you send e-mail in html format, try sent the same email in plaint and html formats, what the result?

Suppose it help you,
Vasily
james malone_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Marty,

What does the email that started all this contain?

I had the same problem when a spam email was forward into HPSD. From what I could gather it may have been foreign characters within the email that HPSD couldn't handle and thus it started looping trying to accept it.

We had just upgraded to sp25 from sp17.

I logged this issue with our support partner but I've not heard anything back.
james malone_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Oh I forgot to mention.

The only way I could stop the calls from being generated was to delete the inbound email address and re create it.

Rebooting servers, stopping services didn't help.
Elizabeth Niels
Super Collector

hi..this is the same problem we are having with ours.. see thread http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1250545
Its some kind of communication error between HPSD and exchange but we havent figured out a way to stop it yet. The server guys say its HPSD thats at fault.
The exchange server team usually stop the mail (dont ask me how) and we delete the duplicate SC's as otherwise the users mailbox is filled with both creation and completion mails for each mail sent. Sometimes, depending on what time of day the mail is sent there can be over 100 duplicates
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hello Marty and Elizabeth.
The easy test for SD mail processor: Run on server Outlook express, set outgoing server the Service desk(use localhost), incoming not metter. Start sending any emails to service desk, if you will have the same error - problem in SD, but I'm sure you will don't have error with it, any way problem in Exchange or in communication between Exc.<->SD.

Vasily
Marty Brown_1
Regular Collector

Thanks for your help Everybody! Points all around!

The horked email message was stuck on the Exchange side...

Our Email administrator was able to use the SMTP Queue Viewer on the exchange email server to find delete the email message that was continuing to re-send to HPSD that caused all of the duplicate Service Desk tickets.

There must have been some garbage characters in the email or something that was causing HPSD to choke on it. Because it couldn't process it completely, HPSD never sent an acknowledgement back to the Mail server to indicate that the message was successfully received, and so the Mail server kept trying to re-send it.

Since our HPSD "inbound email" process that creates Tickets has worked without incident up to this time, and since we were still able to process Other incoming emails and convert them to tickets during the time when this horked email was trying to re-send, at this point I believe that this was a 'fluke' occurrence, and that no further investigation or corrective action is needed. If this happens again, we now know how to quickly find the message in the Mail Server Queue Viewer and delete it.

Thanks all!

~Marty
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event