Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

HPSD 4.5 Fat Client - Java VM Abends when Logging in.

Highlighted
Marty Brown_1
Super Contributor.

HPSD 4.5 Fat Client - Java VM Abends when Logging in.

Hi all: We're in quite a struggle here, hope somebody's got some ideas.

We run HPSD 4.5 SP18

Starting about a week ago, we started getting a large number of calls from users who are now experiencing sporadic MS Java VM Abends when they try to Log into HPSD using the Fat Client.

I've attached details to this note.

What's strange is that the error is only sporadic. If they keep trying to log in, eventually they are successful in doing so. So sometimes, a given PC is OK, and sometimes it's not. (These are fun ones to fix, not!)

Some of the workstation PCs are running XP Service Pack 1, and some are running XP Service Pack 2. Our desktop folks are in the process of slipstreaming XP SP2 out to the field, and so at first I thought that this might be the culprit. We are now seeing the problem with Pre-upgraded workstations (as well as Post-upgraded ones), so this doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Anybody seen this kind of behavior? Any thoughts, please share. Points for All!

Thanks!

~Marty

1 REPLY
ricardo horta
Respected Contributor.

Re: HPSD 4.5 Fat Client - Java VM Abends when Logging in.

I suggest to you the following:
- Rename the directory
C: \ Documents and Settings \ your-windows-user-id \ Application Data \ Hewlett-Packard

To:
C: \ Documents and Settings \ your-windows-user-id \ Application Data \ Hewlett-Packard_071026

Make new LOGIN in Service Desk.
This time it will be necessary to create a new profile for the user, simply follow the instructions that appear on screen.

Please note that the problem in the desktop over.
I spent by something similar and after creating new profiles of users the problem ended.
I think it's because version of java that is running on the station is different from the version of java that is running on the server, attention, I am not sure of this, so I suggest that the test is done on only one station.
www.halogica.com