The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPOVSD 4.5 with SP9 Hung.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
veeratee
Super Collector

HPOVSD 4.5 with SP9 Hung.

Hi,

All clients has no response after pres OK button on the logon windows of HPOVSD clients and at the moment the logged on user get experienced that the performance degradation.

After restarted the services, every thing get back to the normal state(the client can logged on from the last pressed OK button order).

I checked he shcedule tasks at that moment it has around 2300 tasks, the CPU and memetory consumed around 10-20 percent.

Could you please advise/investigate what was the possible cause of this issue.

Thank in advance.
My environement is HPOVSD 4.5 with SP9
10 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Re: HPOVSD 4.5 with SP9 Hung.

HI 10-20 that possible to much, use performance monitor form Administration tool(MS) add count from System, CPU query length. if that more 2 change h/w, increase CPU speed. And not bad run sd_client /benchmark from Client PC too.

Vassili
veeratee
Super Collector

Hi Vasili,

Thank you for your response and I have another question list as below.

Is the number of schedule taks is a possibility cause..?

What is the resources for shcedule tasks consumed either memory, CPU or both or else during waiting the execute time..?

Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
Yes, I beliave schedule tasks load to mem, because stored in the same table REP-JAVAOBJECT where stored and rules too.

Vassili
veeratee
Super Collector

Hi,

I have the OV-Performance agent reported the memory used around 40%. Is this shoud be a case or not..?

Veerat.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Veerat,

This may be an issue with the allocated JAVA memory to your SD server instance. Please check if the allotted JAVA memory is high enough for your requirement of 2300 scheduled tasks.

The file /server/bin/sd_installservice.bat has a commented line for increasing memory. Check if you need to use that, and edit the same according to your requirement.

Hope that helps....

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
veeratee
Super Collector

Hi Saurabh,

I like your comments very much, to make sure the service name(service that allocated JAVA memory to SD server) you have mentioned is "sd_serverservice.exe" I have to check.

Another question I would like to know before plan to try the solution you have suggestion below:-

1) What is the theory to calculate the appropriate of memory, or the method or else should be considerate for the entity of calculation..?

2) I copy the information contained in the file "InstallService.bat" below, please give me an example where I can put the new memory size.

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=32M -XX:NewSize=32M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

Regards,
Veerat.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Veerat,

1) What is the theory to calculate the appropriate of memory, or the method or else should be considerate for the entity of calculation..?
Ans: I have not come across any such mathematical mechanism myself, but usually I have noticed that this is proportional to the call volume, the DB rules, and parallel client consoles logged in.

2) I copy the information contained in the file "InstallService.bat" below, please give me an example where I can put the new memory size.

Ans: You can change the 32M to the amount you prefer like 64M or 128M.

-----------original------------

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=32M -XX:NewSize=32M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

----------- example with modification-------

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=128M -XX:NewSize=128M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

-----------------------------------------

Hope that solves your query...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
veeratee
Super Collector

Hi Saurabh,

Please give me a favor for last three question.

1) Is this a fixed allocated memeory..?(not auto increase) since I have a bigger memeory and the memory used is around 30-40%.

2) What is the risk/impact..?

3) What is the Service name of java allocated that you have mentioned(Is it the "sd_serverservice", if you the memory used at the task manager will displayed the new Memeory usage the same as new setting" thi is true..?

Regards,
Veerat.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Veerat,

1. Yes. It is fixed allocated maximum memory.

2. The impact is obvious. If you increase the memory allocated towards the sd_serverservice the memory available for the remaining apps will get impacted. Though in most cases where you have a dedicated SD-Server, This problem is not there...

3. Yes, that is true. The service is shown as sd_serverservice in taskbar.

Hope that helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
veeratee
Super Collector

Dear All,

Thanks you very much for all your comments.

Regards,
Veerat.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event